Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone with raynauds or know anything about it

(32 Posts)
pinkkoala Sun 18-Jan-09 15:52:05

have been told by docs that may have raynauds, i went with symptoms in my hands and toes, they turn white and shrivelled up then go blue and numb.

i have never heard of it before.

Piffle Sun 18-Jan-09 15:54:57

I have it!

GossipMonger Sun 18-Jan-09 15:57:22

You must ask the dr for ways on how to deal with it.

Checkups at the hospital too.

It is possible to cope with it but there are various degrees of it and it can be quite dangerous (dont panic!)

I am sure there is a Raynauds association which might help you.

GossipMonger Sun 18-Jan-09 15:58:07

www.raynauds.org.uk/potioncms/viewer.asp?a=30&z=12

mysterymoniker Sun 18-Jan-09 16:00:34

I have it, I also get chilblains

I wear lots of gloves and socks, found long socks very very helpful when layering up - also long boots

pinkkoala Sun 18-Jan-09 16:02:33

is it that serious that you need check ups at hospital, what will they do.

is it anything to do with having a funny heart beat do you think. mine seems to go realy fast and i can feel it like a flutter.

do you think i should mention that to doc

Tinker Sun 18-Jan-09 16:03:23

Dangerous? shock I self-diagnosed this the other week on teh basis that my middle fingers can almost instantaneously go white when I'm cold. All google searches hmm said that it wasn't really serious ie your heart isn't going to blow up (which was my concern)

GossipMonger Sun 18-Jan-09 16:08:19

I have a friend who has Raynauds and she had to have regular check ups at the hosp but she got 'confused' and never went to the hosp.

she has ended up very poorly and with scleroderma.

It is not always about keeping warm.

I dont want to be a ScareMonger (despite my name of GossipMonger!!) but just go and get it checked and read up about it as much as you can.

Tinker Sun 18-Jan-09 16:13:41

Oh no, have just read this. Shouldn't do this, nodding at various symptoms. I do not
want spots oozing toothpaste.

GossipMonger Sun 18-Jan-09 16:18:21

Tinker - this is why she should have been to the hosp regularly. Am not sure what the hosp could have done but she is really ill now and her skin is waxy and she looks about 15 years older than she really is.

Dont google it - just get to the doctors.

EachPeachPearMum Sun 18-Jan-09 16:25:02

Weird- DH has reynauds- was diagnosed after he had a cryogenic fit (turned all blue). He never has to go for check-ups.
In recent years he has been much better with it actually. Ginger is supposed to be good for circulation which can help.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 18-Jan-09 16:26:17

I have it and cos one of my entire hands and both feet go dark blue much of the time and I get ulcerating chilblains I'm on medication (not actually really working) and am waiting for further investigations.
Theres a whole range of raynauds from mild to pretty severe and it does depend on whether its primary or secondary as well.

GossipMonger Sun 18-Jan-09 16:26:37

Apparantly if you have Reynauds it doesnt mean that you WILL get Scleroderma but it did mean it in my friend's case.

Dont know why some need checkups and others dont.

Think I would get it checked out just for peace of mind.

morningpaper Sun 18-Jan-09 16:29:17

have had it for years

I use Adalat Retard when I'm numb for hoooourrs, otherwise I just wear squillions of layers every day

I was FINE during pregnancy! It was brill!

morningpaper Sun 18-Jan-09 16:30:15

Adalat Retard - I get it on prescription

It makes my low blood-pressure even LOWER though so I feel a bit grim when I take them

mysterymoniker Sun 18-Jan-09 16:31:15

yes I was fine during pregnancy too

I don't like it when shop assistants look at my dead yellow fingers suspiciously hmm

it seems to be getting better as I get older though, apart from the chilblains - am not on any medication for it

morningpaper Sun 18-Jan-09 16:33:23

I've managed ok but this year I have started getting tendonitis in my knuckles which the GP thinks to being made worse by the lack of blood to my hands

It's a bit painful but I'm already on anti-inflammatories and painkillers for my back so I just up the dosage a bit

I'm like a walk pharamacy blush

TallulahToo Sun 18-Jan-09 16:49:41

I had it for years too. Used to get chill blanes and also blacked out sometimes. It went away during my first pregnancy and so far not returned. (Still wear lots of layers on cold days though).

On the down-side, I have a close cousin who has it and needs in-patient treatment twice per year for her "anti-freeze" as she calls it. We're told it's not hereditory though.

Tinker Sun 18-Jan-09 18:48:49

I have low blood pressure as well - is it linked? Had never considered it to be a problem, just a quirk

psychomum5 Sun 18-Jan-09 18:53:48

I used to suffer really badly, but once having the children it has improved and stayed improved.

hoovering is still an issue tho......the vibrations make my hands go numb. and I do still suffer when it is VERY cold, altho thankfully I don;t have the white fingers anymore......just blue with an odd orange tinge (very strangehmm).

chilblains thankfully are a thing of the past since having thick soled boots during the winter. I found thin soles were a bugger for causing them (or at least, ensuring I get them IYGWIM).

Salleroo Sun 18-Jan-09 18:58:24

From a natural point of view you could wear pulsewarmers on your wrists (similar to sweatbands). Cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon and ginko are all good circulatory warmers.

Raynauds is more common in wommen, can be due to emotional upset aswell as the cold.

Esentially keep your hands and feet warm.

Worth going to the doc to have your blood pressure checked.

PoloPlayingMummy Sun 18-Jan-09 18:58:54

I've had it for years and i've always dealt with it by just wearing extra layers - doc has always said there is nothing he can do about it.

It was sooo much better when i was pregnant! but even then the midwives were worried when i went a bit blue during labour, but they had pointed a fan at me!

Tinker Sun 18-Jan-09 19:00:29

Apart from scleroderma is it dangerous or just inconvenient?

themoon66 Sun 18-Jan-09 19:02:31

I have this too. I find a swig of vodka does the trick grin

On occasions when vodka cannot be used (driving etc) I keep those clicky handwarmer things in my handbag.

mysterymoniker Sun 18-Jan-09 19:05:04

oh I've got those but it is so yawny yawny yawny having to revitalise them in boiling water - or do you mean yours click back to life?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now