Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What disease/condition could this be?

(12 Posts)
FourArms Sun 18-Jan-09 14:18:54

My sisters boyfriend has told her that he has some sort of condition which he has inherited from his father. His father died of this condition in a care home aged about 60. The only thing she can remember is that his dad didn't know who he was by the time that he died. The bf has been tested and also has this condition.

I know there is something commonly passed from father to son, but can't remember what it is. Hoping if I can find a few 'names' it might jog her memory! Very but it would help her help him if she knew a bit more about what he is facing.

thumbwitch Sun 18-Jan-09 14:20:35

Huntington's chorea?

Lulumama Sun 18-Jan-09 14:20:56

Alzheimers?

they should go to his GP together and find out more especially if it is hereditary , theyu might need/want genetic counselling if they plan to have children

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nailpolish Sun 18-Jan-09 14:21:44

alzheimers hasnt been proven to be hereditary though, has it?

Lulumama Sun 18-Jan-09 14:22:50

ok. just thought if he did not know his son by the end of it then alzheimers..

belgo Sun 18-Jan-09 14:23:21

could be huntingdon's

nailpolish Sun 18-Jan-09 14:23:54

alzheimers/dementia is a symptom of huntingtons though, lulu smile

Lulumama Sun 18-Jan-09 14:25:06

ooooh, i thought it was more to do with seizures

i shall stick to chldbrth i thikn!

i do think a trip to the docs is in order though, to find out more about it.

FourArms Sun 18-Jan-09 14:26:12

Huntingdon's was the one I was thinking of. Thanks. Was looking at Hodgkinson's - got the H's mixed up.

He's apparently had some tests so knows (I'm unsure here as Dsis is foggy on the details) that he has it/will get it. Don't think they can do that for Alzheimers can they?

Off to google.

Thanks for your help. I do think you are right about genetic counselling. They've not been together long, but it looks like getting serious very quickly.

thumbwitch Sun 18-Jan-09 14:26:47

a common male-dominant illness is haemophilia - not sure about cognitive impairment in that condition though.

Eve34 Sun 18-Jan-09 14:27:25

Sounds like Huntington's,this can be tested for. Dementia is s symptom of HD. It is a disease that can affect a person at any time in life and will rob them of all the abilities they have leaving them with the need for 24 hour nursing care. It is not a nice disease to live with, knowing that at anytime soon symptoms will start and life will change. Also any children from someone who is affected is at risk regardless of it being a boyor a girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now