Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please reassure me about post-partum hair loss

(11 Posts)
cyteen Sat 17-Jan-09 17:59:56

When did yours slow back down to normal levels? Nearly 5 months down the line I'm still shedding like a prize Persian and starting to get fed up with having to clear the shower drain every time I have a wash. I know I'm just losing the stuff that didn't fall out during pregnancy (I hope that's the case anyway!) but can't help worrying about going bald...

TIA

unfitmother Sat 17-Jan-09 18:02:34

It took at least 6 mths for me, it stopped eventually - I never went bald! smile

AbricotsSecs Sat 17-Jan-09 18:10:15

Message withdrawn

cyteen Sat 17-Jan-09 20:45:54

Cheers grin Was annoyed to notice today that my moustache hair is in full flourish while the hair on my head strews itself merrily about the house blush

BumpermightsuetheSindie Sat 17-Jan-09 20:51:08

Might just be worth getting your thyroid checked out, as I lost lots of hair (well it felt like it anyway) and I had an over active thyroid, it's common after pregnancy.

You could google for the other symptoms but to be honest they are all the symptoms of having a baby as I kept telling my dr who asked me if I was:

tired
hungry
losing hair
irritable

hmm

It probably isn't but could be worth getting it checked out.

dyzzidi Sat 17-Jan-09 20:55:51

My hair loss was quite bad for about a year although there did only be me that seemed to notice!

cyteen Sat 17-Jan-09 21:03:39

Bumper that's really interesting, I am planning to see my doc next week as I have been having regular faint/dizzy spells for a few weeks now and am constantly starving...like you say, I didn't know whether to bother as am knackered from parenting a big, hungry bf baby, but I will definitely ask about thyroid now that I've seen this

BumpermightsuetheSindie Sat 17-Jan-09 21:25:52

Oh good, (well not good!) I mean I'm glad I mentioned it now. It could just be low blood sugar, and bfing does make you want to eat your arm! Hopefully they will check you for anaemia, diabetes, thyroid etc. It is so hard to differentiate the symptoms, but I would say 5 months on you should be feeling a bit better in general. Bfing is so draining though. Hope all is well, or at least that you fell better soon if not.

Sam100 Sat 17-Jan-09 21:28:46

Did you have a boy? Did not suffer at all after girls but lost loads after having ds. I had a halo effect all around my head (around hair line) and when it grew back it was like fine baby hair! It took about a year to get back to normal - definitely felt thinner on top but as I have quite a lot of fine hair was probably not noticeable to others although I felt my hair was really thin.

santababi Sat 17-Jan-09 22:09:56

get your thyroid checked.
Haven`t read the other replies sorry but very common post partum and causes hair loss, tiredness , ect.

cyteen Sat 17-Jan-09 22:31:51

Sam, I did have a boy....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now