Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bloated toddler!

(11 Posts)
morocco Fri 01-Apr-05 23:30:39

my ds1 aged 2.5 has woken up every morning this week looking like michelin man - his face is very swollen and his eyes look really puffy. In himself he seems fine and the swelling gradualy goes down during the day. The doctors weren't very helpful and said to keep an eye on it. I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone else whose child has experienced anything similar
tia

kimbie Fri 01-Apr-05 23:34:15

Could he be allergic to something like the washing powder on the bed covers?

morocco Sat 02-Apr-05 12:19:00

hi kimbie, I don't think it's an allergy to washing powder (although at first i thought it might be some kind of allergy). Nothing has changed in his diet or anything else that I can think of. It looks like water retention to me (looks like i did with pre eclampsia but I doubt he's pregnant
any other ideas?

Tipex Sat 02-Apr-05 19:51:23

morocco, is he weeing normally? no swelling in his hands and feet? Is he ok in himself? If all otherwise ok, allergy does sound likely. Perhaps to something else he is exposed to at night?? Evan something he is ingesting. have you tried changing all his bedding etc etc.

morocco Sat 02-Apr-05 22:28:06

I think his stomach looks bloated and the doctor said he has put on more weight than expected recently although his diet is the same as normal as far as I can see. He seems to be weeing OK and isn't drinking lots more or less than normal. Today the swelling seemed a bit less in the morning but that still makes it a week of weird puffiness. I'll take him back to the doctors again on Monday I think. I've also changed his sheets tonight and washed them in a new non bio - see if that makes any difference too

bobbybob Sun 03-Apr-05 02:30:20

I'm thinking dust mite allergy, have you tried giving an antihistamine before bed?

calcium Sun 03-Apr-05 19:38:11

my dd had a similar reaction and we found she was allergic to tomatoes ?

calcium Sun 03-Apr-05 19:39:44

Just thought.... my dh woke up the other day with terrible puffy eyes for the second day in a row, eventually worked out it could be hayfever? He usually suffers with sneezing and not the eye thing but theres always a first!

morocco Sun 03-Apr-05 21:46:35

good ideas everyone; thank you. I didnt realise I could give little ones antihistamines can you buy them over the counter
sorry no punctuation Ive lost all the buttons

lucy5 Sun 03-Apr-05 21:50:56

I think its called piriton.

bobbybob Mon 04-Apr-05 09:20:17

Yes there are liquid versions, however I just give ds half a tablet disguised in some yogurt, he is 2, but the tablets are very tiny. If it works get the doc to prescribe some as it gets expensive if you use it every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now