Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would my GP prescribe anti-b's for a sore throat?

(11 Posts)
MarlaSinger Thu 15-Jan-09 10:04:24

When I say sore throat, I mean I cannot speak at all. I can barely even whisper. Got DS 14 months at home today and I can't even talk to him

PuzzleRocks Thu 15-Jan-09 10:38:56

Bumping for you.

nicsnigsnags Thu 15-Jan-09 10:57:26

only if its caused by an infection, if its a virus you won't get an antibiotic as it won't help. you should go and see if it carrys on for any length of time but normally an infection causes a raised temperature as well so if you dont have that chances are its viral and will improve itself. not that will make you feel better at this moment! something to soothe the throat like lockets and drink plenty of fluids and paracetamol for pain would be my first remedy, hope you feel better soon, not easy with a little-one

ChopsTheDuck Thu 15-Jan-09 11:03:42

agree, that unless you got a temperature it unlikely to be an infection and so ABs wont help.

how abotu a home remedy? Dissolve soem turmeric in hot water and add some hoiney and ginger. It doesnt taste too great, but really helps. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic.

seeker Thu 15-Jan-09 11:05:10

I'm finding that sipping iced water is helping.

MarlaSinger Thu 15-Jan-09 11:16:47

Thanks Puzzle for the bump

And thanks nicsnigsnags - not sure about my temp, I've just had a hot bath I'll see how I am tomorrow, my mum ill be over then to help with DS as well. I can't stand Lockets etc and can't have Lemsip or anything as still BFing. Cups of tea are somewhat soothing though.

rempy Thu 15-Jan-09 11:17:46

Difflam spray. Paracetamol. And no ironing. Its not allowed when suffering with a sore throat.

MarlaSinger Thu 15-Jan-09 11:18:18

Oops sorry I didnt see your posts seeker and Chops - I'll fill some ice cube trays if I can find one and will try the turmeric (yuck!) - anything that helps

MarlaSinger Thu 15-Jan-09 11:19:09

rempy

What's Difflam?

nicsnigsnags Thu 15-Jan-09 11:23:47

halls soothers, especially the blackcurrant ones are really nice, i dont much like lockets either but halls are just like sweeties! i took them recently when i had the same thing as couldnt take anything else with being pregnant, ooh how we suffer! wink

Sparks Thu 15-Jan-09 12:02:22

Get some soluble aspirin, dissolve one in a glass of warm water and gargle with it. I find this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now