Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

UTI's and Conceiving

(7 Posts)
Lynsy Tue 13-Jan-09 19:04:27

Hello

Just wanted to find out from anybody that suffers from recurrent UTI's whether they have any affect on your chances of getting pregnant. I have just returned from my gp and have my 4th uti in 3 months. After having lots of tests done (whiched showed nothing) I was put on a low dose of antibiotics for 3 months which I started taking a month ago - these obviously aren't helping. My DP and I are planning to start ttc again after my laparoscopy in a few weeks (we have already been trying for over a year but had to stop as I was found to have endometriosis), and don't want my urine infections to hinder our chances when we start trying again. I know all the right things to do, washing and going to the toilet before and after sex, but nothing seems to stop them from coming back.I suppose I am looking for a bit of hope really from other people they have suffered or do suffer from uti's and haven't had any problems getting pregnant because of it.

Thanks

Lynsy
x

bubblagirl Tue 13-Jan-09 20:43:24

i suffered constantly and also was on few 3 month course of antibiotics it didn't affect me getting pregnant at all

honestfriend Tue 13-Jan-09 21:15:21

Please have alook at www.cobfoundation.org you can post the same questions there and get more help from the forums/message boards.

worrybum Tue 13-Jan-09 21:25:33

Lynsy what antibiotics are you on. I suffer from recurrent UTI's and on several occasions have been put on low trimethoprim daily as a preventative treatment when I have suffered from 2-3 infections a month over several months. They don't affect fertility but I know that some antibiotics are to be avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy as they could harm the embryo/foetus, trimethoprim being one of them. I think amoxycillin is safe. you should ask your gp or chemist to be on the safe side.

Lynsy Wed 14-Jan-09 09:20:30

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for all your replies. I am going to post on that website you suggested honestfriend - thanks,I have never heard of it before.

I am currently taking a 3 month course of amoxycillin as I made my consultant fully aware that we are planning ttc after my laparoscopy, so he said that amoxycillin was safe. I have just been prescribed a 5 day course of ciprofloxacin to clear up the current infection, but to be honest don't hold my breathe that I won't be back to the doctors again next month [smile.

Thanks for all your replies and if anyone else has anything to add or share that would be great.
x

worrybum Wed 14-Jan-09 09:49:50

lynsy despite my recurrent UTIS I have not had any problems conceiving but have unfortunately had sereral miscarriages probably due to polycystic ovaries which I was diagnosed with last year. PCOS itself can make it difficult to conceive so I would say that the fact that I still managed to fall pregnant with PCOS and recurrent UTIS would suggest that the UTIs are very unlikely to affect fertility.

Tabitha99 Mon 26-Sep-11 20:41:31

I suffered from UTIs for 12 years. I was on a daily dose of antibiotics, until I discovered D-Mannose. I even took it during my pregnancies when 2 courses of antibiotics did not work. It prevents and gets rid of UTIs. The powder form can be taken by kids.

I recently discovered that my prolapsed transverse colon was squashing my bladder and making it susceptible to UTIs (for 12 years!). I also had awful pressure in my lower abdomen when lying down at night. I was made worse by 2 pregnancies. My colon was compacted with hard stuff (lack of water and fiber) so I did 2 colon cleanses and I no longer get recurrent UTIs. (DO NOT DO CLEANSES WHILE PREGNANT, WAIT TIL NOT PREGNANT - can cause MISCARRIAGE.)

I had examinations and the red dye xray too - all clear. They never checked my colon, I don't think it's on the medical curriculum. But I found this book on Google giving details - it's under 'structural problems':

books.google.co.uk/books?id=I_KZnp4EDT8C&pg=PT520&lpg=PT520&dq=ripe+for+infection+urinary+tract+infections+prolapsed+transverse+colon&source=bl&ots=iqXIbzRCgW&sig=xpzANqG03EVvgr8t_6zaMW4yY3w&hl=en&ei=9NOATqmvKpS10QXJ-rG4CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=ripe%20for%20infection%20urinary%20tract%20infections%20prolapsed%20transverse%20colon&f=false

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now