Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what are the chances to survive cancer??

(20 Posts)
ukrainianmum Tue 13-Jan-09 12:16:18

Hi!!
I just want to know what are chances to survive canser in Europe or in US?? I live in Ukraine and here canser means not very good.I don't know many people who had cancer, but all of them that I know are gone now. Is it curable or not???

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 13-Jan-09 12:17:09

That depends upon the type of cancer.

ukrainianmum Tue 13-Jan-09 12:19:13

I understand it.. But here in Ukraine I don't know anybody who was diagnosed and got well..

cmotdibbler Tue 13-Jan-09 12:21:05

It really depends on the type of cancer (not just where in the body it is, but what type of tumour it is), how big the tumour is when it's diagnosed, whether it has spread anywhere else, and many other things.

Some cancers have a 99% chance of being cured, and some a 1% - all depends on these factors and the treatment available

ukrainianmum Tue 13-Jan-09 12:25:48

ok,thank you.
Well, there is a lump in the breast. And it was an op in Dec and after the op the news was it is not serious and it has something to do with the lympha, but our breasts are the lympha..Everybody calmed down a bit but yesterday I got the news that there is another lump and it seems serious... And she is onloy 30, didn't have kids yet??? And is it possible to have kids after the canser or during???

cmotdibbler Tue 13-Jan-09 12:29:38

I certainly know some long term survivors of breast cancer who were diagnosed at that age - and of course Kylie Minogue is a survivor too.

It's possible to have children after breast cancer treatment - it's not advisable during active treatment though, but at 30 there's plenty of time

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 13-Jan-09 12:51:34

A very good family friend of mine is currently recovering from breast cancer and the prognosis is good.

Unfortunately another friend who fought breast cancer ten years ago, now has it back and because of the type of tumour there is v little the docs can do. She was told she would be gone by xmas last year, but thanks to those new tablets lived to see this years. But it's not looking like she has long left now sad

Yes it's possible to have children after cancer treatment in women. Men are often advised to have some sperm frozen incase the treatment causes infertility, but I don't think that an issue with women.

I hope your friend recovers and the treatment goes well for her. Is she in the uk currently?

PortAndLemon Tue 13-Jan-09 12:59:45

With breast cancer the survival rates vary according to the stage of the cancer (i.e. how far it's spread) and the specific type. Treatment will also depend on that but surgery followed by a year to 18 months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy wouldn't be uncommon.

With breast cancer it's generally possible to have children afterwards. During the treatment not really feasible though because of the toxicity of the drugs.

PortAndLemon Tue 13-Jan-09 13:01:55

There's some information on survival rates here.

Haribosmummy Tue 13-Jan-09 13:02:39

my mum had aggressive breast cancer at the age of 33. she is now 63. She had to have a mastectomy and wasn't offered reconstructive surgery (she could have had this privately but didn't)

After the Mastectomy, she needed approx. 2 years of chemo / radiotherapy and then had to go for yearly then 5 yearly checks.

Teh best defence is to get it treated as soon as possible. But, the outcomes can be positive.

ukrainianmum Tue 13-Jan-09 13:20:15

She is in US. It is a friend of a friend kind of thing. I just know so little about it. But need to give support. So it is good to know there is a good chance of survival. In my country the medical sysytem is very poor and maybe rates are high of this issue. Anyway, thank you all. I am very pleased she has a good chance to survive. that gives hope. And it is known that hope is the last one to die!

Haribosmummy Tue 13-Jan-09 16:37:11

WHere abouts in Ukraine do you live? Do you naturally speak Ukrainian or Russian? I am guessing russian?

sorry for the hijack but I am learning Russian at the moment (well, Ukrainian russian!!) - I could do with someone to practice on!!!!

ukrainianmum Tue 13-Jan-09 20:52:23

haribosmummy-I live in the eastern ukraine. speak at home russian but have no probs with Ukr.any help-just shout..winkI will be happy to help

Haribosmummy Tue 13-Jan-09 21:15:14

Thankyou! I will shout shortly!!!!

thankyou. And I hope your friend is OK.

ukrainianmum Wed 14-Jan-09 14:26:10

Hi all again..
one more question if anybody can help-that girl has a 4cm big tumor.Is it big????

Haribosmummy Wed 14-Jan-09 14:44:03

I'm afraid that is quite large.

I had a lump removed which was 1cm and that was a worry to the drs.

ukrainianmum Wed 14-Jan-09 14:47:11

sad

Haribosmummy Wed 14-Jan-09 21:43:02

But, in the US, most people have medicare of some sort and most of those policies offer unlimited access to cancer treatments, I think... So medical treatment will be good...

When did your friend first notice the lump? The faster growing it is, the more the doctors will worry about it...

Just being there is probably the best support you can offer...

Спокойной ночи

(and does this really mean: "My hovercraft is full of eels" or is someone having me on???: Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей)

ukrainianmum Thu 15-Jan-09 06:41:53

She is actually not from US.She went there and while there informed the rest of us about this tumour. She had an op in Dec and told eveyone not to worry coz it was something to do with lympha and then she went to US... So I don't know how fast does it grow... She doesn't tell everything.

Haribosmummy Thu 15-Jan-09 15:20:23

I'm really sorry, but if the cancer has reached the lymph nodes then it's a much more serious diagnosis.

My tumour was 1cm when it was detected and 2cms when it was removed (6 weeks later) and was deemed as fast growing (fast growing deemed more aggressive than slow growing) but, as I understand it, treatment is much more serious once lymph nodes are involved as the cancer can spread to other organs..

I'm so sorry that I'm not giving better news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now