Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

my ds still has a gungy eye where his tear ducts not working properly

(7 Posts)
juicychops Thu 31-Mar-05 21:46:21

my DS still has a gungy eye where his tear ducts haven't started working properly. both eyes were like it when he was born but one got better after a week. any one else have the same problem? the doc said it will clear up eventually... will it?

charellie Thu 31-Mar-05 21:54:01

One of my twins had this. Her eyes were constantly gunky for weeks and then on and off for a couple of months I think. I used to bathe them in cooled boiled water and cotton wool.

hunkermunker Thu 31-Mar-05 21:56:20

DS had this - his eyes were both gungy for a while. I used breastmilk to clear his - worked a treat.

PotPourri Thu 31-Mar-05 22:02:40

Try cooled boiled water with a small amount of salt in it. Or buy saline solution at hte chemist. DD has a gungy eye on adn off, adn I do it at every nappy change when she has it. It usually clears really quickly.

HappyMumof2 Fri 01-Apr-05 14:31:11

Message withdrawn

artyjoe Fri 01-Apr-05 14:57:17

My baby had it for a week...doctor told me to massage gently under the eye from right to left to bring gunk to the surface, lots of gunk but gone in 7 days.

morocco Fri 01-Apr-05 23:24:30

if the eye is actually infected then antibiotic drops, breastmilk and saline solution will help - but if the tear duct is still blocked then you might well get lots of yellow gunk every day that can't drain away - that will stay until the blocked duct gets wider as he gets older. My ds is 13 months old and I have to clean his eye several times a day but it is not actaully infected as the eye itself doesn't look red and the gunk isn't so sticky. I don't bother with the anitbiotic drops anymore as it's not good to use them too often - every now and then I do massage though as this is supposed to help open up the tear duct;
hth

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: