Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Measles- Has anyone else's child caught this despite having had MMR?

(6 Posts)
Petall Thu 31-Mar-05 14:38:43

My DD had her MMR at 14months ( is now 29 months)and has just been treated in hospital with suspected meningitis, but it seems she has measles. The whole experience has been very scary for her and pretty stressful for DH and I and was wondering if anyone else had had the same happen to them? I did not realise that could happen and wondered how common it was

Pamina3 Thu 31-Mar-05 15:15:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lisalisa Thu 31-Mar-05 15:28:34

Message withdrawn

Petall Thu 31-Mar-05 18:47:19

Thanks, DD is a lot better today (just gone back for her daily antibiotics). The rash is different I know, but she had the bruising that goes with meningitis so it was safer to treat her as if it were meningitis than not.
You are right, I'd forgotten she'd have a preschool booster for just that reason. I guess more children will catch it with not everyone vaccinating their children. DS has not yet had his MMR, so just checking him for the rash now,he has the cough already! Should be another great weekend!

Tinker Thu 31-Mar-05 19:56:20

Yes, I do know of someone whose daughter caught measles after having had MMR

Jimjams Thu 31-Mar-05 20:00:19

catching measles after MMR isn't that common as there isn't a great deal of measles around (the people I know who want their kids to catch it haven't managed it yet!), but certainly it is fairly common for immunity not to develop after MMR (my friend;s ds didn't develop immunity following the booster either).

I do know of someone whose child developed rubella despite having MMR (because she gave it to ds1!) - and I think that is more common - as the rubella portion is less reliable and there is more rubella around. Moral being if your child develops a rubella type rash be careful of pregnant women even if your child has had MMR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now