Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

coping with a toddler and a broken leg - any tips??

(6 Posts)
twofalls Fri 09-Jan-09 16:52:23

I broke my leg on boxing day and was in hospital for a week. No weight bearing for a least 6 weeks and the reality of that is just hitting me. Luckily it has just been chrismtas so lots of presents to play with but I am finding it so tiring being home with DD all day (she is 2.8). She is at her grandma's at the moment but she has a bad back so can only do an hour or two at a time.

We are not stay at home type of people and I think we are going to get cabin fever. Anyone lse been in this position and how did you cope? DD has been brilliant and very understanding for a toddler but she is demanding a lot of my attention which is so tiring.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 09-Jan-09 16:56:47

Is there a local college doing childcare classes? You might be able to get a student on loan to help out?

twofalls Fri 09-Jan-09 17:00:41

That's a good idea. I might do that. I do have lots of friends around who have offered to take DD off for a few hours at a time but they also have toddlers and babies and I don't want to put upon them too much. My mum and MIL both have bad backs so they can't do as much.

I will give that a go.

ThingOne Fri 09-Jan-09 17:30:27

Get a rota of friends to visit for a couple of hours each day and to take her for a couple of hours each day. If it's only six weeks and you're spreading the load it's not too much to ask. People are happy to help and like to be asked.

Get some more DVDs if you don't have enough, maybe borrow from library. Can someone go to the library each week for you to get a wide variety of books (you'll go mad reading but at lest there will be change)?

Can you afford to pay someone even a little? My nanny started working for me for three afternoons a week when I was first ill nearly two years ago. I had to do a lot of asking around but as you "only" in severe pain you can do this.

Are you able to lean up and do things like make cakes? It will pass a little time.

Does she like the computer? Introduce her to poisson rouge.

It's a nightmare and you will get cabin fever. Good luck and hope it's all over soon.

twofalls Fri 09-Jan-09 22:06:29

thanks, all really good tips. She has never used the computer so perhaps now is the time to try - what is poisson rouge? We have a big kitchen with kitchen table so I can sit down and do flapjacks and stuff with her.

Nusery have also said they could do some extra sessions so perhaps I will pay out and take them up on it (she currently goes 1 day a week).

Thanks - I know it will pass and this is not forever. That is my mantra!

ThingOne Fri 09-Jan-09 22:21:18

www.poissonrouge.com/
a website for non readers - my not-quite 2.8 year old has been able to mouse navigate it for some time

Probably was my top tip from mumsnet from 2008! My boys love it, and it finally taught my older boy (now at school) to use the mouse himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now