Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick, would you rather be woken by vomiting in an hour or hunger in the night?

(23 Posts)
WideWebWitch Tue 29-Mar-05 19:49:42

Sorry, me again, puking 16mo has had no milk for 24 hours (?, since 7am yesterday morning when she brought it back up an hour later) and she seems fine, ate ok today, reasonably cheerful, no other symptoms. Should I risk giving her a bottle now? Or wait but risk her waking hungry in the night? She didn't eat much supper. Eeek! TIA.

marthamoo Tue 29-Mar-05 19:50:11

Go for hungry - less messy.

Twiglett Tue 29-Mar-05 19:50:43

if she's been eating ok all day with no vomit, I'd personally risk the bottle

(I'm probably wrong on this)

Enid Tue 29-Mar-05 19:50:44

I'd give her a bottle - but then I don't believe in no dairy for puking - but don't give her too much

marthamoo Tue 29-Mar-05 19:51:21

Mind you, she hasn't puked for quite a while...oh I dunno. Would be better to try her with milk in the morning really. I'm not helping am I?

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 19:51:50

go for hungry, if the milk is making her sick, then you might find that by leaving it for a good few hours helps get ride of what ever it is that making her sick, IYKWIM?

marthamoo Tue 29-Mar-05 19:52:09

Vomiting at least will be early in the evening (ie., while you are still awake). Oh give her a bottle.

piffle Tue 29-Mar-05 19:52:48

compromise is what I do
Water it down#hope she has ok nite www
it is horrid

JanH Tue 29-Mar-05 19:53:37

I would give her a bottle of something other than milk! (Born fence-sitter, me )

marthamoo Tue 29-Mar-05 19:55:06

Give her some Easter egg? I think both mine are going to puke tonight as I have been force feeding them chocolate so I can't eat it when my willpower dissolves again this evening.

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 19:56:04

the milk has got thingys in that when you have got a sicky tummy it makes it worse, and it too heavy to digest. if you are going to give her it anyway, water it down to 50/50 with water.
my ds used to throw up his milk almost everyother nite, was fine with food but not the milk. in the end we watered it down to 50/50 for a week or so and the slowly brought it back to normal and hes been fine ever since. sometime their little tummies cant handle it.

WideWebWitch Tue 29-Mar-05 19:56:54

Oh arse, I don't know! Dp is in bed with raging d&v and won't be able to help if she brings it all back up OR if she wakes in the night. OK, I think she'll get a bottle of water and I'll just pray she sleeps on it. Thanks for prompt replies. She is lying on the floor in a grobag probably wondering wtf is going on! You're fab!

nnosam Tue 29-Mar-05 19:57:36

good luck hope you get some sleep......

motherinferior Tue 29-Mar-05 19:58:39

hell hell hell hell hell yes go for the water...

LIZS Tue 29-Mar-05 20:00:11

Wouldn't risk the milk. You may just prolong the bug if you feed her milk and have to start all over again tomorrow. If no more sick then try a little milk in morning.

WideWebWitch Tue 29-Mar-05 22:29:23

Thanks, I went for water, she didn't bring it up. Every time she's had milk in the last 3 days (2 diff batches of formula too, can't have been a bad batch) she's puked so I think staying off it is worth a go. See you all at 3am!! Thanks again!

JanH Tue 29-Mar-05 22:31:34

Good luck for 3am - she prob will wake, she will be hungry, but if you can get her through the night without puking she should be OK tomorrow

marthamoo Tue 29-Mar-05 22:32:33

Good luck, www.

Twiglett Wed 30-Mar-05 09:00:03

so???

WideWebWitch Wed 30-Mar-05 11:26:28

Yay! Gave her water and she didn't vomit OR wake up! 6.45am in fact and then only because I think I woke her when I got up to go to the loo. Phew! She had 8oz milk with 4 scoops of formula at 7am and is fine so I think vomitsville may have left our house! Thanks for asking!

Bozza Wed 30-Mar-05 11:40:36

that you manage to get a poorly babe to sleep through. While I had the child from hell with two bottles of milk in the night because she's too independent to be fed and too lazy to feed herself.

Nah I'm pleased that it worked out and she's on the mend.

QueenEagle Wed 30-Mar-05 11:42:34

I'd be tempted to go with giving the bottle of milk but add water to make it roughly half the strength. This is advice I was given a few years ago which might now be the wrong thing to do though.

Twiglett Wed 30-Mar-05 13:22:05

YAY good for DD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now