Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Need some calming stories to stop me worrying

(6 Posts)
Jodiesmum Tue 29-Mar-05 09:16:33

DD2 (23 months) swallowed part of an ice cream spoon on Sat (while I stood chatting right next to her, what a terrible mum I am). I found her with bits of chewed plastic in her mouth, some of which I got out but there was still a piece of spoon missing. I was really scared as the broken bits were incredibly sharp so took her to A&E but of course they couldn't do anything - not even an Xray as it wouldn't show up. The doctor said if it was going to get stuck or cut her, it would have probably done so in the oesophagus (SP?) - so the fact there was no distress or bleeding at the time is a really good sign. It's now nearly 3 days later and there's been no blood in her poo or any sign of tumy pain so I guess everything's going to be fine. But instead of breathing a sigh of relief, I'm worrying myself stupid, thinking about sharp bits of plastic lurking around in her guts and causing internal bleeding and/or infection.Does anyone have any experience that might help?

saadia Tue 29-Mar-05 09:39:00

Sorry I have no relevant experience, but I do understand your anxiety. Hopefully she chewed the spoon into really tiny pieces which will just pass through her digestive system. Or maybe she didn't even chew the missing piece and just spat it out. If you're worried perhaps you could ask your GP for advice or call NHS Direct.

LGJ Tue 29-Mar-05 09:46:18

Money in the tummy, Mummy

This is what greeted my friend when she walked downstairs, packed and ready to go away for the weekend.

They took her for an Xray, they saw it on the screen,but never found it in her poo.

A second Xray confirmed it was gone, but they never saw it. Nor did they get away for the weekend.

She will be fine, honest.

HappyMumof2 Tue 29-Mar-05 09:56:36

Message withdrawn

Jodiesmum Tue 29-Mar-05 12:54:51

Thanks everyone, that's very reassuring, especially about ring pull as that also seems like a really sharp object - great to know it came out OK! And it's SO comforting to think she may have swallowed lots of tiny bits rather than the one horrible big bit I keep visualising. Fingers crossed then...

fastasleep Tue 29-Mar-05 13:01:42

My doggie swallowed a really sharp screw, and that came out (eventually!) and didn't manage to tear anything... intestines etc are stronger than you'd think... (I know dog not really relevent)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now