Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else's child never been sick?

(34 Posts)
Posey Mon 28-Mar-05 20:48:46

Ds, who's 2y3m, has never been sick, as in vomitted, ever. He wasn't a milky-sick baby either. People I ever mention it to think thats pretty unusual. I'm not concerned, just interested, if anyone else has a child who has never vomitted.

logic Mon 28-Mar-05 20:55:58

Ds (2y6m) has never been sick either. Possetted a tiny bit when bfing but no more than that. Even after eating a spider! It is pretty unusual but when I hear about other people's sicky kids I think myself lucky. A friend of ours has twin boys that he refers to as the "Vomit Cannons"

CountessDracula Mon 28-Mar-05 20:56:50

mine has only been sick twice when I squirted calpol down her throat once, and once when choking on some food.

CountessDracula Mon 28-Mar-05 20:57:04

she is 2 and a half btw

Hulababy Mon 28-Mar-05 20:58:51

Other than a mild bit of posseting as a baby (very mild and very rare) DD has only been sick once - and that was about 4 or 5 weeks ago (she is 3 next month) and it was caused by cattarh at the back of her troat.

Posey Mon 28-Mar-05 21:01:52

Wonder if it follows that non-posetting babies are unsickly?
Dd was a very sicky baby and has had her fair share of sick-bugs.
My nephew, who's also 2.2, rarely has a month when he's not sick, and he vomitted all the time after milk feeds.

Jimjams Mon 28-Mar-05 21:02:03

ds2 - over 3- has been sick once - was ok 5 mins later.

CountessDracula Mon 28-Mar-05 21:03:39

I am almost never sick, only with really bad food poisoning

CountessDracula Mon 28-Mar-05 21:04:07

so maybe it runs in families (though I was very pukey projectile vomiting baby my mother tells me!)

mummylonglegs Mon 28-Mar-05 21:04:48

Dd, 2 1/2, was a fairly possetty baby, but apart from a month ago with a really bad cough which made her gag, she's never yet been sick. Hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that!

Demented Mon 28-Mar-05 21:05:21

My DS1 was a very possetty baby, almost every time you touched him some milk or food came back up but as a child he has only been sick when he has had a tummy bug, he is now six and has only had a tummy bug two or three times.

DS2, not quite so possetty, but is a vomitty child, long car journeys etc can set him off.

Bozza Mon 28-Mar-05 21:25:03

Well I wish. Both mine have had the average number of tummy bugs and DS who at 4.1 we thought was growing out of it was travel sick on Friday. DS was more of a sicky baby than DD but she was still posseted a bit but has had maybe 4 d&v bugs and she's 10 months - but goes to nursery.

SueW Mon 28-Mar-05 21:26:08

My former flatmate was first sick at 22yo. She was might scared when it did happen. My daughter's piano teacher was similar.

TinyGang Mon 28-Mar-05 21:35:19

My first dd never was properly sick until she caught a tummy bug when she started school aged 5!

She was quite possetty as a baby, but proper full on sick once she was on proper food, nope not a thing.

I have no idea why - just lucky I guess! I was worried how she'd be when the inevitable happened, and although not nice for her, she didn't seem too worried. If she's ever sick now she seems to bounce back very quickly, even asking for food quite soon. I can't even think about eating for ages if I'm ill!

Subsequent twins have not been so lucky, and have been sick/tummy upsets from younger. Maybe it's easier to keep just the one child away from situations where they might pick up a bug.

Tipex Mon 28-Mar-05 21:56:41

Posey, I'm 31 and have never been sick! I dread the thought of it now and was luckily only nauseous when pregnant.

blueteddy Mon 28-Mar-05 22:01:04

Ds1 was a very sicky baby, to the point that he ended up having to have infant Gavisgon to keep his milk down.
He is now 5 & has always been a sicky child.
He caught his first stomach bug at 7 mths old, which lasted a week, was travel sick 4 the 1st time b4 his 2nd birthday, always vomits with ear infections & tonsillitas (which he gets regually) & has at least 1 stomach upset a year.
Ds2 (now 2) was not a sicky baby & has only (touch wood!) been sick once since & that was after eating lots of his advent calender chocolate b4 bedtime when he had a bad cold!

blueteddy Mon 28-Mar-05 22:02:47

Wow tipex, how lucky are you???!!!

ghosty Mon 28-Mar-05 22:03:37

You are all so lucky ...
My DS used to chunder for England ... he had something called Pyloric Stenosis which needed an op to fix as a tiny baby. He used to projectile vomit and hit the wall, people standing nearby, sofas, chairs, carpets ... a couple of times he got the ceiling! I used to breastfeed him sitting on the side of the bath so that I could just direct his vomit into the bath
DD was not sicky at all although she did do the normal possety thing as a little baby.

wordgirl Mon 28-Mar-05 22:05:34

Wow Tipex, you must have the constitution of an ox! Mind you, I can't talk - I am nearly 40 and have never had a headache. What is it they say? Where there's no sense there's no feeling...

TinyGang Mon 28-Mar-05 22:06:59

Good lord Tipex, that's incredible!

Jimjams Mon 28-Mar-05 22:21:53

I wasn't sick between the ages of 9 and 21.

mummytosteven Mon 28-Mar-05 23:46:51

my DS was very sicky, but I was never sick at all till I was about a year old - when my mum first saw it she thought I must have eaten some soap without her noticing before she realised what had happened

bobbybob Tue 29-Mar-05 02:31:29

I wasn't sick between the ages of 23 and 32 and then ruined my brilliant run with a revolting flu bug.

I hate being sick and was phobic about it after witnessing a man being sick all the way back from Sri Lanka, and then at the airport, and then the baggage terminal. It got to the point were if someone coughed I would imagine they would be sick. I wouldn't go to parties or pubs because people being sick from alcohol sickened me. Fancy doing that to yourself. I couldn't watch films were people were sick. I was absolutely terrified of being sick in labour, and I still maintain I won't have another child because I was lucky this time with no MS, but can't risk it again.

DS has thrown up massively only 3 times and all 3 I had someone else to help me with it. I'm not sure if I could cope on my own. I'm fine with possetting, it's just those big heaves and the force of it which upsets me.

Oh god I hate sick.

Jimjams Tue 29-Mar-05 08:05:51

bobbybob I used to veer towards that- was terrified of the kids being sick. If dh is around I still get him to sort it out, but over the last few years have had ds1 chuck up on me so many times I've got used to it!

IlanaK Tue 29-Mar-05 21:24:33

I haven't read the other responses, but I just wanted to say don't count your chickens yet! My ds1 had vomited until very recently when he was 3.5 years old and got a tummy bug. So it cou8ld still happen to you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now