Talk

Advanced search

How long after treating thrush is it safe to have sex again?

(10 Posts)
bitembarrassed Tue 30-Dec-08 19:26:06

Both my DP & myself started showing thrush symptoms after having a very, erm, active weekend!blush So don't know who started with it. We both took the tablet today, which claims to clear the symptoms within 2 days, but how long should we wait before we have sex? Want to make sure we are properly clear so not to re-infect each other & haven't suffered with thrush for years.

OP’s posts: |
poshwellies Tue 30-Dec-08 19:28:49

I'd use a condom for a while-at least for the next few days to make sure you don't re-infect each other,sounds like your active weekend could of triggered a bout of it.

bitembarrassed Tue 30-Dec-08 19:34:58

Can sex bring it on? They say it isn't sexually transmitted, but it seems to have started right after the weekend, and both of us got symptoms at pretty much the same time.

poshwellies Tue 30-Dec-08 19:38:19

read this..

'Thrush is not a sexually transmitted disease. However, friction when you have sex may cause minor damage to the vagina which may make Candida more likely to thrive. So, make sure the vagina is well lubricated when having sex. If natural secretions are not sufficient then use a lubricant when you have sex.'

More lube next time eh? grin

bitembarrassed Tue 30-Dec-08 19:39:05

Sorry for sounding so naive, but I haven't experienced thrush since I have been sexually active.

poshwellies Tue 30-Dec-08 19:44:58

Hey,don't be silly-I've had a few bouts of it when ermm I've been ermm blush very active and with dh-so no chance of it being sexually transmitted (well,I hope not!),but you are both doing the right thing,make sure you are both clear as recurrent thrush is a absolute nitemare.

Congrats on the activity btw smile

bitembarrassed Tue 30-Dec-08 19:59:28

Thanks for the advice! It is pretty unlucky that DP caught it too then? It seems uncommon in men.

poshwellies Tue 30-Dec-08 20:05:26

Yeah, it is uncommon in men although I have passed it onto dh before.

How long have you been with dp? Do you think there is a slight chance he infected you?

bitembarrassed Tue 30-Dec-08 20:09:05

I have been with DP for over 16 months & am as sure as you can be that he wouldn't be unfaithful. I started feeling tender straight after sex & thought it was just because we had a lot over a few days, but the tender feeling didn't go away & the itching started last night. DP started feeling itchy this morning, so not sure who passed it to who, but it was probably me!

karrie92 Fri 19-Jun-20 01:05:57

Can you get thrush 2 weeks after having sex? Is that normal?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »