Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Personal question..... how long after giving birth did you have your first period?

(21 Posts)
juicychops Sun 27-Mar-05 14:00:16

Its been over 10 weeks and i still haven't had mine yet. Is that normal?

mummytosteven Sun 27-Mar-05 14:06:42

5.5 weeks. think that birth can do funny things to your hormones, and delay your periods, but might be worth doing a PG test, especially if you've got any PG symptoms

are you bfing? bfing can often delay your first period.

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 14:08:33

Are you breast-feeding jc? If so it can take ages. Mine only came back after I stopped with ds1 and when the feeds dropped to once a day with dd and ds2. Ds1 was 16 months old when it returned! Has ocme back a little earlier with the other two.
If bottle feeding, I'm not sure, but someone will be able to advise better on that, I'm sure.
Is this your first?

juicychops Sun 27-Mar-05 14:10:01

No. was only bfing for 4 weeks. I did a PG test (although we have been careful) but it was negative. I wanna go on the pill but i cant until i come on. its so frustrating!

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 14:10:07

It depends if you're breast feeding for one thing. I b/f dd and had my first one about 3 months after giving birth which was, apparently, very early for a b/f mum. My friends didn't get theirs until about 5 months after. It actually took me about 3-4 weeks to stop bleeding after the birth so I'd have been very surprised to get a period as early as 10 weeks. I don't know how it works if you're bottle feeding though. Or if you had a caesarian.

juicychops Sun 27-Mar-05 14:10:41

Yeah this is my first baby

mummylonglegs Sun 27-Mar-05 14:11:20

Sorry, clashed posts! You can get an IUD fitted, I did about 2 months after birth. It was very painless and I've had it in ever since. Dd's 2 1/2 now.

Yorkiegirl Sun 27-Mar-05 14:11:46

Message withdrawn

juicychops Sun 27-Mar-05 14:15:08

whats an IDU? (sorry if im being a bit thick)

WigWamBam Sun 27-Mar-05 14:22:50

An IUD is a coil.

My periods didn't come back until dd was 13 months old, so I wouldn't start worrying yet, if I were you.

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 14:23:06

it's a type of contraceptive coil jc.

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 14:25:07

Stands for Intra Uterine Device.

juicychops Sun 27-Mar-05 14:29:15

thats put my mind at ease now... I thought i had something wrong with me! (im only 20... bit naieve). Well i suppose soon as im not planning on having another baby any time soon i should just enjoy the fact that they haven't started again yet... im not a big fan of periods!

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 15:24:24

Oh to be 20 again!! Am just jealous! Long may your 'no period' days continue!! Congratulations on your new(ish) baby to. Just make sure you're covered for contraceptives whichever method you choose - you don't want to know that my BIL was born 11 months after my SIL! Poor MIL - she thought that you can't get pg whilst bfing! - oops! This was over forty years ago though - much better advice these days!

juicychops Sun 27-Mar-05 15:42:54

Thanks for the congrats. Don't worry. im making sure i am fully protected... i am no way ready for baby no 2 just yet!!

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 15:43:27

kama Sun 27-Mar-05 15:46:16

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sun 27-Mar-05 15:48:31

I didn't. I went on the Pill exactly 3 weeks after DD was born b/c I was on a lot of medication for PND and it was not avisable for me to conceive another child.

stitch Tue 29-Mar-05 09:44:31

everything is 'normal'. depends mostly on whether you are breastfeeding or not. andif so, how often.
long may your period free days last.
by having two babies within nineteen months, i managed to have only four sets of periods in a about three and a half years. was brilliant

Sponge Tue 29-Mar-05 09:48:35

I breastfed for 3 months but ds is now 8 months and mine still haven't returned. 10 weeks is pretty soon. I'm delighted not to be having periods so I'd just enjoy it if I were you.

noddyholder Tue 29-Mar-05 09:49:54

about 3 months iirc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now