Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am trying not to panic but have discovered a small lump on the back of ds1's head .......

(29 Posts)
Aero Sat 26-Mar-05 22:27:38

It's sort of at the base of his skull at the top of his neck at the back on the right hand side. Its about the size of a pea and sort of soft to palpate and he says it doesn't hurt at all, even when prodded. I'm sure we'd have noticed if it had been there before, but I cut his hair the other day and didn't notice it then. Any ideas or anyone have any experience of this kind of thing. I'm inclined to try not to panic and just make an appointment as soon as the surgery re-opens on Tues. On the other hand, it's niggling me a bit. He is just getting the beginnings of a cold - are there any glands in that area that might swell?
Anyone have any ideas or experience of this kind of thing? He is seven.

SleepyJess Sat 26-Mar-05 22:29:53

Sounds like it could be a lymph gland Aero. These come up and go down when kids (and adults) are fighting off little infections.
SJ x

Miaou Sat 26-Mar-05 22:29:58

Pretty sure there are glands where you describe Aero, I had a lump just there as a child. However do get it checked out to put your mind at rest, if nothing else.

HappyMumof2 Sat 26-Mar-05 22:32:08

Message withdrawn

Aero Sat 26-Mar-05 22:34:22

Thanks SJ and Miaou. His glands often swell - just hadn't noticed any there before. If it doesn't recede, I'll have him checked. The only thing is that when his glands are up they're usually a bit sore to touch. He didn't even notice we were touching this quite protruding little lump. Dh is quite perturbed about it really.

JanH Sat 26-Mar-05 22:34:23

I found one just like that on DS2 in the bath when he was quite little, Aero - total panic, rushed off to the GP and yes, it was a gland - I hadn't known there were any there either.

They should issue us with a gland map when we have kids - then at least we'd know when a lump might be a swollen one!

marthamoo Sat 26-Mar-05 22:34:30

Agree with everyone else - in fact I have them myself atm - a sure sign I'm run down.

fatbetty Sat 26-Mar-05 22:34:42

I've noticed this with my ds2 (who is 8 months old). I was concerned and did ask the docs during one visit. They said they were glands and just to watch them if they got bigger. They are still there but are the same size.

Aero Sat 26-Mar-05 22:35:29

Will do - thanks HMo2. Feel a bit more content now. Will call gp Tues if still there.

Aero Sat 26-Mar-05 22:37:47

Ooooh - a gland map - what a good idea Jan (thanks for email btw - t-shirt great hit).
MM and fb - thanks too - def feeling better about it now. Cheers ladies.

Miaou Sat 26-Mar-05 22:39:41

Mine was a hard lump that didn't hurt and stayed there (ie I could feel it) for years. In fact until I felt just now I assumed it was still there!!!

JanH Sat 26-Mar-05 22:41:35

Aero Sat 26-Mar-05 22:43:01

lol miaou (on another issue - I did finally work out your dd's name! Just never got around to posting on Rickman's thread about what you remember about other mners, but saw your post! - love the name too btw)

samdarling Sat 26-Mar-05 22:43:19

hi aero.
DD has a pea-sized lump - side of her neck - been there a few months. Mentioned it GP last visit. It moved so apparantely its OK & very common. If worried, defo get checked. Sure all OK.

Aero Sat 26-Mar-05 22:44:08

thanks sd.

Miaou Sat 26-Mar-05 23:07:28

Aero! Poor kid's going to kill me for it as she gets older and spends her life saying "no, you pronounce it like this...."

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 22:11:30

lol Miaou.
Spoke to a friend this morning about ds1's lump. She is a medical professional and says there are no glands where it is (as far as she knows), but it feels more like a sebaceous cyst because of how it feels and moves. It's probably nothing sinister, but advised have it looked at anyway and because of the risk of it becoming infected, they may want to remove it as it's quite close to the stem of the brain. The mind boggles, but I will make an appointment for him next week.

JanH Sun 27-Mar-05 22:17:16

Does it move around under the skin, Aero?

WideWebWitch Sun 27-Mar-05 22:20:12

Aero, my ds has a lump that sounds similar on his forehead. We've been to the doctors several times and seen about 4 diff drs, all of whom think it's very old scar tissue from a bump, is this possible? I don't remember any bump there but it would be impossible to remember every one. My ds is 7 too but I first noticed this when he was about 4 and it's still there.

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 22:26:47

Yes Jan, it does - don't think it's anything to do with a bump though - is just about the size and shape of a pea - his glands are usually more like a marble when they're up.

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 22:27:50

Also, it would be a very weird place to get a bump - wish I could draw a diagram! Am a little concerned if I'm honest!

tiffini Sun 27-Mar-05 22:31:26

it could be a harmless cyst, my DD had one

JanH Sun 27-Mar-05 22:38:18

DS2's was exactly pea-sized - I think maybe those glands are smaller than the neck ones? - sort of behind his ear at the base of his skull.

I have had sebaceous cysts and they do slide around under the skin so it could be. They can be removed quite neatly and I don't understand why your friend mentioned the brain stem, cysts like that are just under the skin.

JanH Sun 27-Mar-05 22:39:31

So don't panic yet

Aero Sun 27-Mar-05 22:49:00

you know, I don't think she said brain 'stem' exactly, just couldn't remember what exactly she did say! oops - my mistake, but she did mention brain something being close. She is very knowledgeable though and I trust what she says. It's nowhere near his ear though - it's right at the back of his head on the right and more his head than his neck - just difficult to describe it all here! Oh the confusion.......it does seem cyst-like and is right under the skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now