Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dh doctor let slip he is on the emergency transplant list.

(36 Posts)
misdee Sat 26-Mar-05 22:07:45

i didnt know there was an emergency list!! was told the other week there was only one list.

suedonim Sat 26-Mar-05 22:10:27

indeed But I guess some people will be more in need at any given time so maybe that's how it works? Is dh still in hospital?

hunkermunker Sat 26-Mar-05 22:11:05

Hugs, Misdee - surprised to hear of emergency list too. xxxxxx

misdee Sat 26-Mar-05 22:12:05

still there. i am really not expecting him to come home now tbh till after a transplant. maybe he will, but he is very ill and weak.

JanH Sat 26-Mar-05 22:25:46

Oh, misdee, what a shock for you. Does DH know?

Sorry to hear he is so ill and weak, I was hoping the pacemaker would have helped a bit by now. Hugs.

misdee Sat 26-Mar-05 22:27:24

dh told me. he was as shocked as i was. the pacemaker being fitted has taken it out of him. and he cant sleep atm either, so isnt getting better as quickly as he should. they are trying to find some sleeping pills that dont mess up his other meds.

mummytosteven Sat 26-Mar-05 22:27:50

oh dear Misdee. has the thing ?ICD - sorry if I've got the name wrong that they put in recently helped him at all?

misdee Sat 26-Mar-05 22:29:56

he says the ICD/pacemaker is pacing his heart at a faster pace than its usually at (his meds kept the heart rate slow) and he can def feel it working and giving small shocks. as far as i know, it has stopped the irregular beats.

mummytosteven Sat 26-Mar-05 22:32:03

so at least it's working - a shame tho that it doesn't sound as if it's helping him feel stronger.

misdee Sat 26-Mar-05 22:33:29

he is still recovering from the op. feels very tender and bruised. plus what is usually a 1hr op took 3hrs

RTKangaMummy Sat 26-Mar-05 22:49:15

I don't really know what to say misdee but hope you get some good news soon

{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}

mummytosteven Sat 26-Mar-05 22:49:55

poor love. I didn't sort of think really that of course it's going to be a proper op getting the thing in, so of course it's going to take a few days for him to come round from tha anyway

sallystrawberry Sun 27-Mar-05 02:43:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tatt Sun 27-Mar-05 08:32:15

misdee I don't think there is more than one list, it will just be that your husband is near the top of the one they have because his need is considered more urgent than others. So the position probably hasn't changed, you're just being told he will have priority over other people with less urgent need if there was a transplant suitable for him.

It can take quite a while to recover from any sort of op if you also have other health problems.

Nothing you can do really, it can be very hard on the one who has to stand by helpless.

winnie Sun 27-Mar-05 09:04:11

misdee, I am thinking of you all, best wishes Winniex

misdee Sun 27-Mar-05 09:32:32

cant belive that this time last year we were told that transplant was along way off and no need to worry about it.

going to dh mums place today for easter dinner. gonna be weird without dh there, i may have to talk to his brothers.

noddyholder Sun 27-Mar-05 09:59:51

I know you must be worried but it is great they are making him a priority Have a lovely lunch today x

Twiglett Sun 27-Mar-05 10:09:30

I don't know what to say, on the one hand its great news as it means he is prioritised, on the other it must be terrifying for you all.

At least you know that everything will be done to make him better including the transplant

You're in my thoughts misdee (and your package is in the post )

Potty1 Sun 27-Mar-05 10:17:33

Misdee - I remember reading your first post about your dh - not here but on another board as you were worried about your little one too. Things have certainly moved on in that time, it was maybe 18 months ago. It must be so stressful for you and I have everything crossed that there is a heart for him soon.

misdee Sun 27-Mar-05 10:45:46

ah yes potty1, that was when they picked up a murmur with dd2. the docs sent us into a bit of panic due to dh heart problems and sent dd2 for an echo. was very worrying at the time as we know the % chances of it being inherited, and however much we try anf focus that dh condition was more than likely caused by a virus, there is still a slim chance he has always had it and never picked up on.

tamum Sun 27-Mar-05 10:50:18

Oh misdee, I am thinking of you all. I hope he gets his new heart very soon and you can all start to live normally again. How's the baby?

noddyholder Sun 27-Mar-05 10:52:11

misdee I really feel for you we are in the same situation.DS1 has never been tested as we were told that my heart was probably caused by yrs of kidney probs and dialysis but there is a slim chance I've always had it amd we have to decide whether or not to have him screened All other family members are clear inc both my parents so docs say extremely unlikely but still will have him tested this year before secondary school

GRMUM Sun 27-Mar-05 17:52:51

Thinking of you and dh midee. I agree with the poster who said that it is very hard to be the one who has to stand by and watch. x

Hulababy Sun 27-Mar-05 18:08:51

Tginking aof you all misdee. Hope the wait isn't too long, and that your DH improves soon.

LGJ Sun 27-Mar-05 18:12:44

Oh exciting yet worrying news.

Will pray for you, if that is what you would like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now