Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone tell me symptoms of kidney infection please?

(16 Posts)
kid Sat 26-Mar-05 21:55:39

I had a urine infection at the beginning of the week and was given 3 days worth of antib's.
I have completed the course but am now feeling really poorly. I have hardly eaten anything since Tuesday, feel very faint if I stand for too long and am constantly thirsty. I ache all over but don't have a temperature and I'm not experiencing any pain when I go to the loo. The Dr did say I may have to go the hospital if I wasn't feeling better after finishing the course but I'm not convinced this is anything to do with the urine infection.

Just need some reasurrance really. Dh asked me if I'm sure I'm not a man, as I haven't stopped complaining, cheeky sod!

kid Sat 26-Mar-05 22:08:56

anyone?

sunnyskies Sat 26-Mar-05 22:21:47

I suffer from kidney infections frequently- this sounds like one to me - I usually drink plenty of fluid and keep - warm hot water bottle if necessary- don't whatever you do take anything with paracetamol in it - this will only aggravate it
hope this helps and you get well soon

Chocol8 Sun 27-Mar-05 00:07:14

Poor you Kid, as sunnyskies said, it does sound like an infection. I had what I thought was an infection and was in excruciating pain for over a week, on strong painkillers and anti-b's. Just as I was beginning to feel better (having almost drunk the contents of a large swimming pool full of orange juice and water), I got worse again. The doc then said that it had been kidney stones, and the later pain was them passing out of my body. NOT pleasant.

You should get it checked out at the hospital - you don't want to feel like this any longer - what a cheeky dh!!!!

essbee Sun 27-Mar-05 00:15:17

Message withdrawn

kid Sun 27-Mar-05 09:19:13

Thanks for your replies.

sunnyskies - What should I be taking for it? I have been taking paracetamol for nearly a week
The Dr's is open on Tuesday, I will get an emergency appt if I'm not better by then.

Tiggiwinkle Sun 27-Mar-05 10:07:52

If it is a kidney infection you need more antibiotics-and you should not really leave it until Tuesday to see a doctor. Kidney infections can be serious. Does your GP not have an out-of-hours service? If not, I would go to A and E-today.

noddyholder Sun 27-Mar-05 10:29:15

Sounds like one there is a big difference between a urine/bladder infection and one in your kidneys.The kidney one can make you feel really bad and needs quick attention Don't leave it!!

Caligula Sun 27-Mar-05 10:45:24

I'd go to the out of hours surgery today if I were you, unless you've got anything planned, otherwise you'll feel absolutely awful for the rest of the weekend. Why wait till Tuesday when you could feel better by Tuesday with the right treatment? And if you don't have a temperature, maybe it's not an infection at all, but something else?

sunnyskies Sun 27-Mar-05 19:25:48

meant to say to you - I would go to the A&E or walkin clinic if you have one- but take asprin rather than paracetamol! wouldn't leave it - let me know what you did - get well soon

kid Sun 27-Mar-05 19:30:52

I had slight pain in my lower back last night, but I'm sure I'm imagining it?!
I went to bed early, but woke up at 5am coughing and coughing and coughing!

I managed to eat my first meal today since Tuesday and apart from the cough, am starting to feel better. Still haven't got my proper appetite back but its was lovely to actually eat!

I was advised to drink plenty of warm drinks but I still can't manage tea, will just stick to my water for now.

sunnyskies Sun 27-Mar-05 19:35:53

Poor you
Glad you were able to eat something though!
keep up with the fluids
hugs and good wishes

kid Sun 27-Mar-05 19:41:46

This not having an appetite has worked wonders for the diet that I keep threatening to start!
I have lost 5lb since Tuesday. I wish I didn't feel as rough as I did but it certainly gave the diet a boost!

sunnyskies Mon 28-Mar-05 19:06:05

How do you feel today

kid Mon 28-Mar-05 22:25:51

Thanks for asking,
I'm feeling much better today, seems to have gone into a cough and cold whatever it was I had!

Don't want to give TMI, but my chest is yukky!

Still haven't got proper appetite back but am managing to eat at least one meal a day.

Dh is back at work tomorrow so I have to deal with the kids either way

sunnyskies Mon 28-Mar-05 22:58:45

Poor you
I had the yukky chesty bit - not nice
Get well soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now