Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick question re Chicken Pox

(9 Posts)
Catbert Sat 26-Mar-05 19:57:06

... and PG ladies.

I have unintentionally (most likely) infected a friends child by having my own infectious child at a get together this week.

The spots only started appearing yesterday and came full on today - but we were with her and a number of other children on Thurday.

Oops. Noone seems to mind particularly ("one of those things").

However, this friend is PG at about 18 weeks and had chicken pox herself quite badly at about 17 (so remembers it well).

She will be OK won't she... Panic setting in...

tamum Sat 26-Mar-05 19:59:49

Yes, fine. It's only a problem if she hasn't had it. Don't worry

HappyMumof2 Sat 26-Mar-05 20:00:26

Message withdrawn

dangirl Sat 26-Mar-05 20:02:10

agree. she will be fine. If she was just about to give birth it could potentially be a problem for the newborn baby as illness can be more severe neonatally.
Dangirl xx

jampots Sat 26-Mar-05 20:03:11

my friend is 10 weeks pg and her 3 yo caught chicken pox a few weeks ago and I raised this with her but she says she's okay.

Catbert Sat 26-Mar-05 20:04:39

I've been sticking Sudocrem on the spots (because it seemed the only thing I had to hand) and she told me it could dry the spots out too quickly and lead to scarring...

Oops. Again. Have no Calamine, perhaps I should stick some Diprobase on instead.

Or best leave well alone? Don't they look horrid! Luckly DD1 seems fine in herself. Only annoying thing is DD2 hasn't got it at the same time, so I guess in 2 weeks we'll be doing this all over again!

Grrrrrrr.

emmatmg Sat 26-Mar-05 20:11:54

Put Bicarb of soda in the bath with your dd cathbert and a couple of camomile teabags. It really soothes the itching and dries the spots (not quickly like sudocreme though)

Ds2's spots appeared just as Ds1's were going drying out so it might not be to prolonged for you.

Oh and BTW I was 12 weeks PG with DS3 when they had it.

Catbert Sat 26-Mar-05 20:16:28

Top tip - thanks muchly x

GeorginaA Sat 26-Mar-05 20:35:56

She'll be fine if she's had it - however if she's concerned she should pop down to the docs and they can do a blood test to check immunity. If she has no immunity and gets there within 72 hours (I believe - can't remember the exact time scales now) you can be given an injection to protect against or severely limit the infection to protect the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now