Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

long, heavy period

(27 Posts)
nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:43:28

sorry if this is a bit dull, but its so unlike me to have this

period has lasted over 2 weeks now, heavy with clots, what could it be? anyone? TIA

mummytosteven Fri 25-Mar-05 20:44:06

you've not had a coil put in/changed to a hormonal method of contraception recently???

lavenderrr Fri 25-Mar-05 20:44:57

I dunno nailpolish but I had a heavy clot the other week and was abit scared but am fine....have you been on the pill ever and are now off it maybe?

nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:46:15

started on the pill 2 mths after dd2 was born, 4 mths ago now, periods in between packets up til now have been really short and light

Flossam Fri 25-Mar-05 20:46:19

Poor you! Thats miserable! No chance of you being pregnant? Sure you've considered that one though... Go to docs and get hormone levels checked? Is it more painful that usual? Fibroids, endometriosis? How many periods have you had since DD2?

nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:49:16

sore tummy (usual) but sore legs too

got 1st period when dd2 was 2 mths so dr said to start back on pill then, so i guess this is the 5th period since then

NomDePlume Fri 25-Mar-05 20:49:41

i went through a period (excuse the pun) of having very long periods with what looked like large lumps of liver in them (in lieu of vomit emoticon). I went to my GP and they asked me to provide a sample of this liver-like tissue, turned out to be clots, scared the Jesus out of me though, thought my womb was falling out !

There was no sign of infection or missed miscarriage or anything, I was just told that my body was probably just having a 'thorough spring clean', almost like it hadn't really cleared everything through in previous periods and there had been a build up. Yuck, I know.

nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:50:03

sorry about thism but its really fresh blood, with clots

NomDePlume Fri 25-Mar-05 20:50:51

My experience was pre-children

nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:51:27

thanks ndp, i feel the same, ie thought it was maybe something like that

maybe i started back on the pill too early?

NomDePlume Fri 25-Mar-05 20:51:48

make an emergency appt with your GP if you are really concerned, and revert to pads if you haven't already.

NomDePlume Fri 25-Mar-05 20:53:00

I also have a vague recollection of the blood being stronger smelling than usual, TMI (sorry)

nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:54:52

no, no strange smell

oh i hate pads

NomDePlume Fri 25-Mar-05 20:57:36

me too, very undignified and sooo messy, but if it is an infection tampons are unlikely to help things. I found tampons were no good anyway as the clots were so big (sort of chicken goujon size) that they interfered with the absorbency anyway

nailpolish Fri 25-Mar-05 20:59:41

yes chicken gougon size

im not sure if its old stuff having a clear out though cos its all so fresh looking

and whats with the achey tummy and legs?

Jimbob80 Fri 25-Mar-05 21:37:56

I had a 3 month period once after coming off the depo injection. like you described lots of clotting. Had an internal examination etc at the docs, they gave me some iron supplements and said it would help the aches and tiredness. It worked but god did i feel awful!!

NomDePlume Fri 25-Mar-05 21:40:04

can't offer any help re the aching, I didn't get it.

nailpolish Mon 04-Apr-05 09:21:11

ive still got my period, coming up to 4 wks now, still fresh blood with clots

achey legs etc etc etc

its getting me down

mummytosteven Mon 04-Apr-05 09:43:12

oh dear, poor you. have you been to the docs at all about it?

nailpolish Mon 04-Apr-05 09:44:27

TBH, cant be arsed going to the drs, just wish it would go away

nailpolish Mon 04-Apr-05 09:44:51

hmm that sounds wrong, hope you know what i mean

Flossam Mon 04-Apr-05 10:34:27

NP, you know as well as I do that thats not right. You've only just gone back to work, you must be knackered, loosing all that blood as well. You might become aneamic. You really should go to GPs to get checked out now, you have been bleeding for far too long. x

HappyMumof2 Mon 04-Apr-05 10:44:58

Message withdrawn

mummytosteven Mon 04-Apr-05 11:01:36

fraid I'm going to join the queue nagging you to get it checked out. at the very least get yourself a multivit containing iron in case you have gone a bit anaemic

nailpolish Mon 04-Apr-05 20:11:36

thanks girls.

im actually going to the family planning clinic on thursday, for a chat about getting a coil. im on microgynon which i hate

so hopefully i will get time enough to mention it then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now