Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chickenpox - does breastfeeding offer protection to the baby?

(17 Posts)
dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 15:47:17

And can a toddler get it more than once? Thanks, Dinny

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Fri 25-Mar-05 15:48:46

aparrently yes. The baby gets your immunities.

JoolsToo Fri 25-Mar-05 15:51:33

if you mean, if you breastfeed will your baby not get chickenpox then no - I was breastfeed and still have the scars from chickenpox!

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 15:52:31

I mean while breastfeeding - ds 7 months and exc bf......

happymerryberries Fri 25-Mar-05 15:55:23

Yes, a toddler, or anyone for that matter can get it more than once. This is most likley if the first time you have it you get a very mild dose.

The baby will get the mothers antibodies, both at birth and when they are bf. But this immunity does not last a life time. The baby needs to make their own set of antibodies to give long term protection. If you get a mild dose, you sometimes will fail to make enough antibodies.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 15:57:13

thanks HMB - dd (toddler) had it quite badly last year.

I know I have antibodies as had blood test when pg last year (as didn't know if I'd had it). Hoping baby ds avoids it for now as we have had sooo much lurgy recently and he prob has an op coming up. Thanks.

FiveAlive Fri 25-Mar-05 16:09:22

My exclusively BF daughter got CP at 5 months...

pabla Fri 25-Mar-05 16:57:02

Although the risk of a baby catching chickenpox while being breastfed is reduced, it is still possible for the baby to get it. My aunt caught it from my mother when she was only a few weeks old and was exclusively breasfed at the time.

chipmonkey Fri 25-Mar-05 17:20:52

When ds2 was 11 months old and attending a creche, he was the obnly baby who was b/f. Almost every other child in the creche, icluding ds1 caught chickenpox but he escaped!

Prufrock Fri 25-Mar-05 17:37:53

My ds got chicken pox at 6 1/2 month (exclusiely bf for 6m and still on 5 feeds a day then) And he actually had it a lot worse than 2 1/2 year old dd who had it at the same time.
If you really want to avoid it, the homeopathic remedy Rhus-tox may help, and is perfectly safe for even small babies.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 20:37:47

thanks, everyone. Prufrock - ds has only just had his first taste of solids on the last week or so - am hoping his frequency of feeds (max two hour gap, and feeds in bed with me all night too) may help him avoid it this time... Three friends' kids we've seen recently have it, there have been two cases in his creche and more at dd's nursery. eek!

Bozza Fri 25-Mar-05 21:15:11

Bit like prufrock really. I had cp as a child and definitely remember it although only 8. And DD who was 5 months and exclusively breast fed at the time had a much worse case than DS who was 3.5 when he generously infected her. In fact she was pretty awful with it and I had quite a bad run between the two of them plus other bits.

jamiesam Fri 25-Mar-05 21:17:17

Hi
My ds had cp while exclusively bf at 3 mths. Recently heard that getting cp under age of 1, you don't build up sufficient immunity and are at as much risk of cp as if you'd never had it. Asked question recently (yesterday? day before? - 'chickenpox - twice?') and didn't get conclusive answer to immunity thing, but a few people have had cp twice or more.

dinny Fri 25-Mar-05 21:17:24

Bozza - oh, piss. Well, maybe we'll be lucky and he won't get it (though have been extremely unlucky of late so not too hopeful....)

jamiesam Fri 25-Mar-05 21:19:41

Ds cp was very mild...

Bozza Sun 27-Mar-05 21:19:16

Dinny it might be time for your luck to change. I think that DD was pretty much guarenteed to get it once her sibling had it. I mean that is maximum exposure. I sort of comfort myself with the fact that I am certain that DD had a bad enough case to get immunity.

Other thing is that it was going round DS's nursery all summer before he finally got it late September so it could have been worse for us if DD had been 1 month instead of 5 IYSWIM.

stripey Sun 27-Mar-05 21:40:02

Ds1 got it badly at 2.5 yrs and I caught it at the same time (also badly). Ds2 who was 6mths and totally bottle fed didn't get it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now