Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick Q about anti-biotics

(9 Posts)
essbee Fri 25-Mar-05 15:27:14

Message withdrawn

Snugs Fri 25-Mar-05 15:30:12

I think amoxycillin is sometimes a 7 day course - and often when the prescription is for a child they allow a bit extra in the bottle. So 125/15mls is 8 and a bit days, I would give it to her for a week.

Snugs Fri 25-Mar-05 15:30:57

Or allowing for spillage - as long as the remains of the bottle last

essbee Fri 25-Mar-05 15:33:23

Message withdrawn

Snugs Fri 25-Mar-05 15:36:52

I would think it should be fine.

The main thing (apologies in advance, one of my bugbears) is to only give antibiotics when they are really needed. Some GPs still have a tendency to give them out too easily and then people wonder why rates of MRSA and the likes are rising.

Do you think she has a chest infection - coughing up discoloured phlegm for example?

essbee Fri 25-Mar-05 15:40:34

Message withdrawn

essbee Fri 25-Mar-05 15:43:37

Message withdrawn

Snugs Fri 25-Mar-05 15:46:16

Sounds like she needs them then poor thing.

If she doesn't improve after the amoxycillin (and fingers & toes crossed she does) I would recommend you try to get a sample of phlegm or a throat swab tested for antibiotic sensitivity. At least that way, if she does need another course, they will ensure she gets the one that will do the job.

essbee Fri 25-Mar-05 15:49:04

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now