Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

breast reduction

(32 Posts)
mummc2 Fri 19-Dec-08 10:51:30

hello everyone was on here a few months ago and there were a few people saying they were due to have a breast reduction. Im in for mine on the 6th jan and was just wondering how everyone was doing any recent post op stories gud or bad! or anyone as nervous as me want to chat? Going shopping for some post op bras today!!!!

DeckTheHallsWithBling Fri 19-Dec-08 10:58:02

I had it done about 8 years ago. But honestly and truly, it was the best thing that I ever did.

even though the doctor didn't take as much off as I wanted and even though I've put on weight subsequently and they're pretty large again now.

You will not regret it. And the surgery is surprisingly painless and easy. take it easy afterwards and as soon as the wounds have closed used some kind of vitimin oil aggressively (I like BioOil personally).

Good luck! You're going to be SOOOOO happy!

mummc2 Fri 19-Dec-08 11:14:42

love my bio oil from being pregnant so thanks as never thought of it for this, soooo excited!! mums coming to stay for 2 weeks to look after and pick up kids

mummc2 Fri 19-Dec-08 23:01:58

bump!!!

dingdongDOZYMAREishigh Fri 19-Dec-08 23:05:58

how exciting for you - may I ask a personal question to both of you - how big were your norks in relation to your body shape/weight? I have just had baby 3 and whilst not about to do anything now, I really want them reduced at some stage (are you nhs or private). If NHS, how long did it take from referal to op date, and what was the criteria?

Good luck!

mummc2 Fri 19-Dec-08 23:17:42

mine are a 32H/34gg and pre dds size 10/12 on bottom 5foot 5 and 9 n alf stone. suffered from back problems and other symptoms that go with big boobs strap marks and bad posture, went to docs who investigated first as they said it would strenghten my case had an x-ray and physio which proved that back problems most likely related to size of chest. The doc sent for funding and took about 6 week to hear back, then about another 6 week to see consultant. saw him end of september and wanted to book me in for beginning of december but choose to wait til after xmas ( nhs by the way )not sure about criteria they never mentioned but i know my bmi is 24 i dont smoke or drink and not havin anymore children. consultant said hopefully be a d cup afterwards!!

sparklyxmasfairy Fri 19-Dec-08 23:19:32

this is pretty much the only plastic surgery I would ever consider if I wasn't so terrified of GA

good lucksmile

DeckTheHallsWithBling Sat 20-Dec-08 10:15:09

about a 32 F or something like that - this was back in SA and in the days where bra sizes were still pretty basic. All I know is that when I had it done I went down a full dress size and generally stopped feeling like they'd walked into the room about 10 minutes before me.

A normal surgery takes off about 1.5kg. Mine was less than that. And of course, it can be more too.

mummc2 Sun 21-Dec-08 20:43:47

come on people anyone else going for one soon - we can keep each other going - talk bout it!! anyone any ideas wheres best for cheap sports bra... bin in primark 2day and dont do 34dd ( size bin told to get for straight after while swollen) none in bhs, anyone????

dreamingofagreenlawnchristmas Mon 22-Dec-08 12:18:54

I'd LOVE to have this done - but just had dc3 so will have to see how things settle. Please let us know how you get on!

MLWfirsttimemum Mon 22-Dec-08 18:06:09

i had a breast reduction a long time ago when I was much younger ! Anyway, it was the best thing I ever did! The surgeon didn't really give me a choice as to size - I went from a 34F or G I think to a small 32B but they have since grown back to a nice 34C which is just about perfect for my frame. The surgery itself was very long (4 hours) and I lost a lot of blood. However, I can honestly say that it was totally painfree except I did get some twinges where the nerves were growing back to the nipple later. However, I didn't have children so could take it easy. Just don't lift too much and be very careful you don't get any water on the cuts/scars as they can become quite ugly, red and raised, then. Don't, for instance, have a shower, have a bath. Good luck!

mummc2 Wed 24-Dec-08 09:16:41

cheers getting nervous now and still on the hunt for cheap sports bras if anyone can help

idontlikesundays Thu 25-Dec-08 20:54:56

I am not looking to have a reduction - well, maybe a little - but desperately want/need a breast lift. I have had three children and then lost 3 stone in weight, and my breasts have gone from their largest at 40F, to a 32D. However, all the skin is still left over from when they were larger and so I have empty, very droopy boobs - lots of skin, hardly any breast tissue. I feel so miserable about this. I worked hard to lose weight and exercise to stay slim and toned, but of course nothing can be done about my breasts, other than surgery. I am only 33 and just can't imagine living with these breasts for the rest of my life. DH has finally noticed how miserable I am and has agreed to support me if I choose to have surgery. I am assuming that I will have to have it done privately, and am tentatively starting to research, from the beginning. I would be so grateful for any advice - how to find a reputable surgeon, how much it is likely to cost etc. thanks.

mummc2 Thu 25-Dec-08 22:20:35

I think that alot of being a woman is feeling sexy and to each woman if you arnt happy then you should do something about it. my friend has no boobs at all!! and so her and partner started saving this year and next year are giving up their family holiday abroad so she can have implants to hopefully go to a 32c. i think the most important thing is to try and find a good surgeon, speak to people online and research all surgeons. although mine is nhs the first thing i did when i was told who my surgeon would be was to look him up on internet. went on many surgeon websites and spoke to people as well. mine is mr lam and works private for transform as well as nhs. im miserable all the time and actually carry more weight to try and disguise them, so in the new year my resolution is to get me back!!!!! ( im only 28 )

tstar Tue 30-Dec-08 01:33:01

Hi, I am booked in on the 30th Jan.
I am happy with my surgeon, but it is ellective so will have someone else doing the surgery but she will be pressent.( I am in Australia)
I am a 16 F and will be going down no smaller than a DD.
I have always carried extra weight because of my breasts. 2 years ago I lost alot of weight and was feeling good, but lost nothing from my breasts, this is when I first looked into it. (although thought about it my whole life)
I have put on all the weight again and breasts still the same.
I find I am almost more unhappy with them when I am thinner when they still make me feel huge.
I hate the attention they bring,
the pain in the back and it would be nice to buy a top because I like it not just because it has alot of room up the top.
I am really looking forward to standing up straight and proud.
I would be interested to hear about your journey and I can try to share mine, if you like. I am 29 years old.
I have an appointment on the 14th so see how I go.
I wish you all the very best for your surgery and your recovery.

All the best tstar

ladybird17 Tue 30-Dec-08 06:10:11

I had one about 10 years ago. Although it's made a fantastic difference to me, they discharged me too early, my stitches ripped (in River Island!) and I was in excrutiating agony for about 10 weeks. Had to have bandages changed every other day for 6 weeks.
Couldn't even to have a seat belt on in the car for about 3 months - so my advice - take it easy after the op!!!

mummc2 Sat 03-Jan-09 14:59:22

THANKS everyone was guna keep a diary of how i go on pain and recovery wise and was thinking of posting somewhere on mumsnet for anyone thats interested. What do you think? or is it just bin done too much!? 3 days to go and getting really nervous now and so my ezcema has reared its ugly head on my arms!!!!! keep your fingers crossed for me.

dizzydixies Sat 03-Jan-09 15:05:15

oh good luck mummc2, I've just had DD3 but told Dr when I went in to confirm pregnancy this time last year I'd be back for my reduction appt later this year when I finish feeding!!!

dicksbird Mon 05-Jan-09 13:59:17

Good luck for tomorrow mummc2. I would be interested in reading your diary

Piffle Mon 05-Jan-09 14:00:18

Good luck today mummc2
You have my email I'd love to hear all about it as I'm 7-10 weeks off mine!!

Piffle Mon 05-Jan-09 14:04:18

today for the shopping
Tomorrow for the Op!

For your info I am 5ft 6 9.5 stones too, been told my boobs are 3/4 of a stone of that!

I am size 10 bottom but size 14-16 top AAARRGHH

I'm 30HH
Have been told I"m going to c-d cup and my nips will be 6cms higher!!!!
Woohoo

chipmonkey Mon 05-Jan-09 14:35:36

Wow, Piffle, very best of luck!smile

mummc2 Mon 05-Jan-09 18:05:14

well everyone only just now posting after spending afternoon in tears, they've cancelled my op as they have no beds on theatre ward!!!! really peeved was so stressed and was just managing to calm down when strangely enough was packing my hospital bag and phone rang!!!! t-star and piffle you will probably beat me to it now. Got to ring tomorrow and speak to surgeons secretary about when they can fit me in next and then ring work and kiss arse to cancel my six weeks off. piffle 6cm higher thats wicked. Im smaller than you but probably more skin as they were (are!) guna move it 11cm!!! just guna order a take-away and get the alcohol out.

Rach xxx

chipmonkey Mon 05-Jan-09 20:10:20

Aw, mummc that is so disappointing for you!sad

idontlikesundays Mon 05-Jan-09 20:16:06

That's so awful mummc2. Have they given you any indication as to when the op will be rescheduled?

Piffle, mummc2 ( when it happens ), I would love to hear about your op and your recovery.

I have been doing a lot of research over the past week or so, and I'm definately going to have a boob lift, hopefully this year. I will have to go privately though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now