Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd1 needs eye op for squint

(12 Posts)
trefusis Thu 24-Mar-05 16:52:23

Message withdrawn

lou33 Thu 24-Mar-05 18:48:03

trefusis, ds2 had this done a year or so ago when he was 2 or 3. The surgeon generally slightly undercorrects a squint, to stop it going the other way, and they have to say the thing about the possibility of a second op, because they cannot guarantee it will be fixed first time forever.

He was in at 8am and out by 2pm, his eye was slightly red, no sign of bleeding, it was unpatched, and i could see an instant difference in his squint, which was quite pronounced at 45. Feel free to ask me anything if you think i can help.

trefusis Thu 24-Mar-05 19:18:50

Message withdrawn

jabberwocky Thu 24-Mar-05 19:24:13

Sounds like they have been very conservative in approach and that this is the best thing to do. Does her eye turn in or out?

foxinsocks Thu 24-Mar-05 19:25:03

trefusis, I had this op when I was a child (can still remember it weirdly - think I was about 4 or 5). I had a squint in both eyes. This was about 30 years ago now so I imagine the technology is a lot more advanced than when I had it done. However, they didn't need to do a second op - I had around a year's follow up appointments (where I had to read those blasted charts etc.) Only now, in my 30s, has it started to give me problems again and one of my eyes feels like it is turning slightly away from where it should and every now and then people say it looks like I'm not looking at them when they're talking (and I'm sure I am!).

I can't remember anything bad about the op - only how kind the nurses were and I got to stay in overnight and got to eat chocolate covered cereal in the morning - something my mum would never have allowed! Hope that helps.

trefusis Thu 24-Mar-05 19:41:43

Message withdrawn

jabberwocky Thu 24-Mar-05 19:45:02

In my experience (optometrist for 15+ years) the surgery for that type of inward squint - esotropia - is least likely to wander afterwards. They have gotten extremely good at this in recent years. Now, immediately after surgery it may look a little strange so don't panic, that can be just temporary inflammation. Good luck.

lou33 Thu 24-Mar-05 20:20:09

he has worn glasses since he was 1, he is 4 now, and we did patching too but it didn't help.

Tissy Thu 24-Mar-05 20:26:03

dd had bilateral squint ops at about 18 months, and although improved, it was underdone, and will need redoing sometime soon. She was in hospital for a day, and as far as I recall, she couldn't open her eyes for most of the next day, due to swelling, but wasn't in any major pain with it.

llkjj Thu 24-Mar-05 20:30:40

I had an eye op. for a squint (outward bound) when I was 8yo, it worked really well, when I'm very very tired my left eye is still a little weak, may tend to wander, but mostly it's reliable. I'm 37 now, so you'd think that almost 30 yrs later 'they' must be that much better at doing these ops.

trefusis Thu 24-Mar-05 20:35:57

Message withdrawn

lou33 Thu 24-Mar-05 20:42:44

ds wasnt swollen at all and his eye was open iirc, just blurry from the ointment they out in to prevent infection. We went home the same day as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now