Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chickenpox - twice?

(9 Posts)
jamiesam Thu 24-Mar-05 13:51:28

Just heard what I hope to be an old wives tale.

If baby under age of one gets chicken pox, they are too young to build up immunity and are at same risk of getting it again - as if they had never had it in the first place?!

Was always very pleased with myself that ds1 had (pretty mild) dose at 3 months. Not so pleased if he's likely to get it again!

Anyone else heard this?

Waswondering Thu 24-Mar-05 13:52:56

I've had it twice - once very mildly as a young toddler (no idea what age!) and then quite badly at 14. It was horrible at 14. I really wasn't very well (and had it in the autumn!! Not Easter, surprisingly).

Does this help you at all? I guess it depends on the immunity your body makes and no 2 people are the same!

nutcracker Thu 24-Mar-05 13:53:56

I do know people that have had it more than once, but don't know if it's got anything todo with age or how bad you got it.

My dd1 had it at 3 and only had about 4 spots, so i wouldn't be surprised if she got it again. Dd2 was covered from head to foot though.

jamiesam Thu 24-Mar-05 14:02:55

Had heard of people getting chickenpox twice, but thought that the second dose was a sort of variation - shingles? or is that something completly different? Also heard that as a rule, the older you are the worse you will suffer?

Snugs Thu 24-Mar-05 14:22:06

I've had chicken pox loads of times, first at age 8 - another 6 times from then until I was 25 and then I just stopped counting.

The older you are the first time you have the chicken pox virus, the worse it can be. When I do have it now, it is fairly mild but that is probably because I have repeated infections.

Shingles is caused by the same virus - you have to have the chicken pox infection first and then it lies dormant in the nerve endings. Shingles then occurs when the virus is reactivated - not by contact with chicken pox, but normally by stress, trauma or immuno-suppression.

jamiesam Thu 24-Mar-05 14:31:44

Oh snugs, what can I say. You poor thing. Sounds like you get chickenpox the way I get a cough or a cold. Won't ever complain about minor ailment again. (err, until the next time!) Do you know why you've not developed immunity?

Thanks for clearing up about shingles too.

Snugs Thu 24-Mar-05 14:36:03

Nope - had some tests done when I was in my teens, but never got a conclusive answer (or if we did, it went over my head at the time )

I am quite useful as a chicken pox detector - if in doubt, stick me next to the child and wait a couple of hours. If it is CP, I will have hives everywhere!

Apparently, I also have an allergy to the virus (this has caused endless arguments between doctors as to if it is even possible!) The hives will come up very quickly but if there is prolonged exposure to the virus I will get a full blown attack of CP.

Snugs Thu 24-Mar-05 14:37:38

And the good news is I probably won't get shingles (which is quite nasty) as the virus never really gets a chance to go dormant and hide in my nerves.

<<fingers crossed I haven't just doomed myself with that statement>>

jamiesam Thu 24-Mar-05 14:41:32

Glad you can laugh about it. Almost wish I could afford your services (as chicken pox detector - would be great profession to put on your passport ). Shall just have to wait for the lovely surprise (ds's exposed to pre-spotty chicken poxer recently - think we are just past the period when they would be spotty if they had caught it. Ooh, the anticipation....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now