Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else not had any 'childhood' illnesses?

(12 Posts)
tarantula Thu 24-Mar-05 11:42:10

Just out of curiosity Am I just a freak or has anyone never had mumps measles chickenpox etc. Ive never had any of them at all. Even when teaching I had almost a whole class off with Chicken Pox but I didnt get it. Just hope I dont get it as dd grows up ~gulp~ Better start praying shes the same as me

swiperfox Thu 24-Mar-05 11:43:32

I never got any of them either - I only got chickenpox when I was 16 (not fun!) but never had anything else at all!!

lockets Thu 24-Mar-05 11:46:30

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Thu 24-Mar-05 11:50:17

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Thu 24-Mar-05 11:55:28

Only chicken pox. The US has been using the triple jab since the 1960s. Unlike here, vaccination is mandatory to attend any state-funded school, and most fee-paying schools require them as well. So I never had measles, mumps, rubella, etc.

psychomum5 Thu 24-Mar-05 12:02:15

I never had chicken pox until I gave birth to DD3 (literally 1wk after giving birth, and after a vaccination to try n stop it)!!! That I caught from my two elder girls. I never got it from the children I nannied for, even tho I lived in and looked after them while they had it.
Never have had rubella either, but I have had measles and mumps.

katzguk Thu 24-Mar-05 12:04:10

it is possible to have chicken pox and not know. you can have just one or two spots and not suspect, so it is possible even if you think you've not had it to have, if that makes sense.

tarantula Thu 24-Mar-05 12:54:15

Well at least Im not the only one. Hope I am immuneto chicken pox as really dont fancy getting it.

the downside of being such a healthy child was that I didnt have any time off school at all from the age of 6 till I caught a really bad case of skivalitis when I was about 15 and mammy actually fell for it too (cant think why I didntdo it before that)

MistressMary Thu 24-Mar-05 13:21:28

I had chickenpox when I was seven which was a little unpleasant and had Mumps, sat on a sofa watching telly and eating ice cream.
Nothing else.

Jimjams Thu 24-Mar-05 14:59:16

I've had measles and rubella - nothing else. No chickenpox, but after exposure when pregnant had immunity checked and was immune anyway. Most adults are. Passed that onto ds2 as well I think as he has been exposed numerous times without catching it!

suedonim Thu 24-Mar-05 15:55:52

My brother has only had German Measles. This was well before vax were introduced and with three siblings you'd have thought he would catch something. I remember him sitting on my bed when I had mumps, making me breath on him so he could catch it too and stay off school. Didn't work, though!

jackeroo Thu 24-Mar-05 16:24:46

i got chicken pox in my 20s which was a bit of a shock... never had any of the others fortunately...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now