Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contraception dilemma - Cerazette <shudder> or coil? Any experience anyone?

(46 Posts)
DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 19:27:55

I'm having a contraception problem!
Basic facts are:

Overactive Thyroid
yet overweight (typical!)
loads of contraception therefore ruled out by GP due to side effects of weight gain.

I've been offered cerazette which I knew nothing about until I saw a thread on here this evening that struck me with the living fear of god! I have the prescription for this in my bag but now I'm not at all sure.

My only other option is the coil (not the mirena one, just the normal one).

So, what are the pros and cons of each? The GP is extremely keen for me to be on something (just been using condoms up to now) as getting pregnant whilst on my thyroid meds is apparently a very, very bad thing.

TotalChaos Thu 11-Dec-08 19:32:09

Not exactly an exhaustive list but......

Coil - Pros - you don't need to remember to take it! And no hormones so you won't be wondering if you feel bloated/moody/put on weight etc just because of your contraception.

Cons - can cause heavier periods.

Cerazette - Pros - although you can get irregular bleeding/spotting at start, it should make your periods lighter or stop completely

Cons - remembering to take it each day, possible side-effects - moods/sore boobs etc

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 19:37:04

No, my list is a mini one grin
The implant was also suggested but apparently it's just a version of the cerazette (at least the one I was offered is).

It's the mood problems I'm worried about with the pill. I took marvelon for years and I didn't realise how moody it made me felt until I got off it. I've heard cerazette is worse too.

Does anyone know if the irregular bleeding with the coil does tail off after 4 months?

thequietone Thu 11-Dec-08 19:40:42

I had Cerazette for 6 months this year and I feel like I missed 6 months of my son's lives. I had the worst depression ever and would sit staring out of windows with tears streaming, deathly thoughts etc. etc. I had also just had a baby so that didn't help. Once I had the "lightbulb moment" and Googled Cerazette, I stopped taking it that day. A huge dark cloud lifted and I have to say it was just in time, as I was in a dark dark place.

I explained all to doctor and she was very grateful for my honesty and insisted on no more.

ib Thu 11-Dec-08 19:40:57

I've had the coil twice. The first time was wonderful, had it in for years without a problem. When it had to be replaced, I bled non stop for two months until I had it taken out.

So I guess it just depends....

JustKeepSingingCarols Thu 11-Dec-08 19:42:34

thequietone - have you seen this thread?

JustKeepSingingCarols Thu 11-Dec-08 19:43:28

Sorry OP blush
Have you seen that thread?
I don't knpw anything about coils though so not much help sorry!

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 19:44:23

Thank you for sharing tqo, I must admit that I have heard this a lot about cerazette. I am prone to general 'moodiness' not exactly depression but certainly times when I don't feel like myself. For this reason I don't wish to make anything worse, I'm loathed to even try the cerazette. Especially as I start a new job in January and really need to be feeling 'right'.
Are all progestogen only pills the same?

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 19:46:01

Yes Justsinging, it was that one which caused me to do some more cerazette investigation! It sounds like scary stuff

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 19:47:24

ib, yes the GP told me the coil meant I could bleed on and off irregularly but said it would die down after 4 months (seems like a long time to me!)
It is beginning to seem as if my only option is the coil.

Seona1973 Thu 11-Dec-08 19:58:26

well I am very happy with cerazette (maybe I'm the only one though!!) - no bad moods and no bleeding for a year so far.

jkklpu Thu 11-Dec-08 20:00:33

I'm on cerazette for the 2nd time as still bf-ing ds2 and have had no problems at all. Have been on it for a year now nearly this time and it's fine. Haven't had a period in that time, which suits me, too. And conceived quickly after coming off it the 1st time, so no problem on that score either.

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 20:05:22

Good to hear positive stories. Do you mind me asking if either of you were prone to 'moods' before? I'm wondering if this has anything to do with how you react to it?
I wonder if I should try it and just keep an eye out for any mood changes?

emma1977 Thu 11-Dec-08 20:48:36

I've taken cerazette since having ds a year ago. No periods. No acne. No weight gain. Its great.

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 20:54:48

Thank you all!
I think I'm decided (yep, that makes sense!)to take the cerazette for a month and see how I go. DH has been put on 'daft mood' alert grin

Pinkchampagne Thu 11-Dec-08 21:09:05

I have recently come off Cerezatte as I couldn't take anymore of the on off bleeding. I could go for months with nothing & then suddenly, when I was least expecting it, I would get a full on period, which might stop after a few days but start again 2 days later. It was really starting to get me down. I was also getting upset over things that wouldn't normally bother me. It wasn't a good pill for me at all. Never tried the coil so cannot really comment on that option.

MatNanPlusTINSEL Thu 11-Dec-08 21:12:55

I had a coil in for 20 years, not the same one tho, always the plain / nonhormone one and i had no problems, i have endo and PCOS and heavy, long and clotty AF and surprisingly they were better with it in than when i had a resting month as they took 1 out and dropped the replacement and didn't have any others ... typical.

annmar Thu 11-Dec-08 21:35:05

Another one happy with Cerezette.

No periods is a real bonus.

expatinscotland Thu 11-Dec-08 21:40:18

cerazette sent my post-natal depression into the stratosphere.

i never stopped bleeding/spotting.

developed cystic acne all over my chest and back.

my libido disappeared.

never again will i use progesten-based contraception.

Guadalupe Thu 11-Dec-08 21:42:05

I was like a banshee on it.

expatinscotland Thu 11-Dec-08 21:43:04

same here, Guadalupe.

mood swing CITY!

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 21:44:17

[I need a deep thinking emoticon here]
See, that is what I am so scared about expat. I didn't have pND as such but I am, let us say, sometimes a little unstable!
The fact I'm starting the new job also worries me, if I'm going to be a mess then I don't want to do that in a new place.
Should I play around with it? I didn't react very well to the combined pill so is there any hope?
MAy make appointment with GP to discuss my concerns.

Argggghhhhhh!

Guadalupe Thu 11-Dec-08 21:45:28

Yup. In fact, dh begged and a few friends recommended I stop it!

I don't get on well with hormones though, I'm sure some people find it perfectly suitable. The only one I found okay was mercilon whe I was a teenager.

DorrisMcWenceslas Thu 11-Dec-08 21:49:24

Oh god, ok mind change again.
New job (teaching) + mood swings + hormone issues = evil dorris.

Ok, will still make appointemnt to see GP to discuss but am feeling more like the coil would be better for me right now.

expatinscotland Thu 11-Dec-08 21:51:53

I did fantastically on the combined pill. Very well. Can't take it anymore, unfortunately, because I'm nearly 38 and I am hypertensive.

But, our family is complete and I no longer want anymore children, so I'm headed for sterilisation myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now