Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy free "butter" - where to buy?

(12 Posts)
Nimme Tue 22-Mar-05 20:37:14

Our nephew is due to visit and he is allergic to many things - dairy and peanuts being some. I need to buy some "butter". Have been told of something called canola (in America).

Does anybody know where I might buy something/anything like that?

bubble99 Tue 22-Mar-05 20:43:58

There's a lactose free spread called "Pure" - you can buy it at Waitrose and I think Sainsbury's. There's an organic version too. Not sure if it's nut free but I think so as it's aimed towards people with the full range of allergies. I've seen some products which state that they are made in factories which don't make nut products, I don't know if this is one of them. Does your nephew have a full blown nut allergy? Does he carry an Epi-Pen?

pixiefish Tue 22-Mar-05 20:45:51

nimme- get the pure tha bubble recommends. they have 3- 1-dairy free sunflower, 2- soya, 3- organic. tesco and asda also sell it

Nimme Tue 22-Mar-05 20:55:09

Bubble - yes he carries Epi-Pen - not just fatal to eat but can't even be near peanuts....

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Mar-05 20:57:57

Health food stores or supermarkets will have this.

Canola just means rapeseed. It's a North American (ok, Canadian) way to avoid saying "rape".

FIMAC1 Tue 22-Mar-05 21:00:03

Pure is a Soya spread

bubble99 Tue 22-Mar-05 21:13:21

If you wanted to get him some Easter chocolate there's a producer called Kinnerton who make a range of chocolate which is guaranteed nut free i.e. Made in a factory which does not make nut products. I've seen them in Waitrose. They market Christmas and Easter type chocolates. How old is your nephew Nimme? I only ask because if he's 16 he's not going to be deeply impressed with a packet of chocolate bunny wunnys.

soapbox Tue 22-Mar-05 21:14:49

Olivio is a good dairy free alternative if you are not keen on soya. It has not transfatty acids in it, unlike some of teh other olive oil spreads.

pixel Tue 22-Mar-05 21:32:47

Sainsbury's do a spread in their Free From range which is dairy, gluten, nut free and loads more besides. If you look at the Sainsbury's website it has a list of the ingredients and things that are excluded. Apparantly endorsed by the allergy association. HTH. Also my ds seemed to prefer the taste of it to the Pure.

pixel Tue 22-Mar-05 21:45:46

Don't know how to do links but if you want to have a look...go to Sainsbury's website, click groceries online, aisles and shelves, then put Free from spread in the product search. If you click on the item it will give you the info.

Sorry, felt a bit mean just saying "look at sainsbury's" because I've always had trouble finding the free from stuff on that website. Maybe it's just me though!

vwvic Wed 23-Mar-05 12:24:31

A word of warning, Last time I checked Olivio, it had whey listed as an ingredient, obviously not a good choice for you.
My ds2 pretty much refuses all dairy free spreads apart from Sainsburys baking margerine. I know that it's not specifically made as dairy free, but it is. It also tastes pretty good, and you can use it as a direct swap for cow butter. HTH

skerriesmum Wed 23-Mar-05 12:34:04

There are two Tesco own brands that are dairy free, a purple and yellow one and the Value one is as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now