Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Over active thyroid possibility....a little worried...

(6 Posts)
Hellsy Tue 22-Mar-05 20:13:19

Firstly this is my first time on this website - it is fabulous, I wish I'd found it earlier. My doctor has said I've either got the beginning of an over active thyroid, or one that is correcting itself following my pregnancy. I have another blood test in 8 weeks - in the meantime I'm worried about symptoms / medication etc... anyone been through similar?

jenthehen Tue 22-Mar-05 20:44:45

Hi Hellsy, I was diagnosed with an over active thyroid about 15 yrs ago and a few months later it became under active and I've been taking thyroxine daily eversince.

Hellsy Tue 22-Mar-05 20:54:07

Hello, did it become under active as a result of the medication they put you on? Is it controlled now? So many questions, sorry

macwoozy Tue 22-Mar-05 20:59:45

I was diagnosed with overactive gland due to heart medication. Since then it has kind of corrected itself. One nodule is over and the other nodule is under, so it compensates each other.
Symptoms can be, hyperactivity, itching skin heavy sweating, palpitations, anxiety, hand tremors,always hungry but still losing weight. In my circumstances they spoke about radio active treatment which selectively destroys the thyroid cells. Hopefully if it is correcting itself you might not need treatment. Good Luck.

jenthehen Tue 22-Mar-05 21:10:54

hi, i'm not sure why it changed but this was before i was on the medication. Symptoms were,: I was incredibly tired (but was also doing my dissertation so put it down to late nights etc) i also gained weight. The medication has kept the situation balanced but it was monitored closely through both pregnancys. I still really have to battle to keep my weight down but i'm not sure how much thishas to do with my underactive thyroid.

Hellsy Tue 22-Mar-05 21:38:22

Hoping that it's all post natal as I'm weaning my 5 month old off the breast at the moment... as this was my first pregnancy I presume they will monitor it when I have another one. Having read up about it tonight, thyroid problems bought about by pregnancy is quite common - the things they never tell you beforehand.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now