Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

thrush in 2 week old daughter's mouth

(6 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 22-Mar-05 19:52:50

my poor little DD, bless her, not only has an eye infection and constipation but I've now been told that she has thrush in her moputh. The health visitor has suggested Daktarin which i got from the chemist today. I have to do it after a feed so that as much of it stays on her tongue as possible but so of course I feed her, get her nicely settled and then try and stick my finger in her mouth covered in what I assume is not overly pleasant stuff and she then gets distressed.

Has anyone else had to deal with thrush and any tips you can offer please?

Yorkiegirl Tue 22-Mar-05 19:54:32

Message withdrawn

MissingMyBoy Tue 22-Mar-05 20:49:11

Hi McKenzie, sounds like you have much the same to deal with as I did as a new dad - my ds had an eye infection and thrush too. Have you tried tasting the Daktarin - yeeeuuuggh - no wonder my ds was sick or cried after getting it. Both the eye infection and the thrush clear up in about a fortnight - they didn't seem to bother my ds at all, so try not to worry.

Just don't get your finger to near the back of the throat when giving it otherwise your last feed will be all over you

Nimme Tue 22-Mar-05 20:53:08

Ditto to the drops - much easier.

mckenzie Wed 23-Mar-05 09:19:02

thanks guys. have called the doctors this morning and requested a prescription for the drops. A wasted £4 on the Daktarin! I'll give the HV a hard time about that next time I see her.

Bramshott Wed 23-Mar-05 09:24:04

We had the Nystatin stuff, and was okay, but felt like a trauma as you have to do it at the end of a feed, and I was never sure when she'd finished - I'd pop the stuff in, only for her to decide 5 mins later that actually she was still hungry! After 4 months of this, a HV said "oh maybe it wasn't thrush?" You can imagine my reacation!!

So my advice would be to try the nystatin, bit if it drags on and on, check that you haven't been misdiagnosed. As far as I know, proper oral thrush comes with sore red patches inside the mouth, not just a white layer on the tongue, which can also be milk.

That said, I'm convinced we did have it at one point, as I had nipple pains too, just wish I hadn't let it drag on so long . . .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: