Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

chickenpox and shingles

(6 Posts)
ionesmum Tue 22-Mar-05 12:59:48

Another chickenpox thread!

My dd1 has a temperature with no other symptoms. Her friend has just started with chickenpox, so think it's possible she might be getting it too. I've told my dad and he has freaked as he thinks he'll get shingles. Dd1 is one tomorrow and my dad is talking about not coming to her birthday party - he even asked if dd1 could have a test to see if she has it

How long will it be before we know if dd1 has chickenpox? What link is there between chickenpox and shingles? How dangerous is shingles? My dad has had chickenpox, and he had a heart attack a couple of year's ago so is a bit neurotic!

TIA!!!!!

nailpolish Tue 22-Mar-05 13:02:30

is it not so that if you have chickenpox when a child you wont get shingles? AAARGH this always confuses me

shingles can be pretty bad, my dh had it and was floored for a week

i hope someone knows better than me, not much help sorry!

LIZS Tue 22-Mar-05 13:16:14

Have a look here . According to the "Prevention" paragraph Shingles isn't actually caused by contact with chickenpox !!

lou33 Tue 22-Mar-05 13:18:35

you CAN get shingles after having chicken pox, it is the saem virus, and it lays dormant in the body iirc. Dd2 had chicken pox at 10 weeks and shingles at aged 5, both quite badly. If you are immunocompromised you should stay away from people who are likely to have chicken pox or shingles , i believe

hewlettsdaughter Tue 22-Mar-05 13:19:32

You cannot catch shingles from a person with chicken pox

ionesmum Tue 22-Mar-05 14:14:06

Thanks for all your help and for those fab links, I have printed them off to show my dad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now