Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't get dd's temperature down, what should I do?

(23 Posts)
Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 23:21:28

She's had a temp of 39 today, it started at lunch so I gave her some calpol. Got it down to 38 and I've just taken her temp again and it's 40!

I've got her in a short sleeved body suit, given her calpol and I've just rang the NHS direct but they said it could be another 3 hours before someone calls.

What should I do?

trefusis Mon 21-Mar-05 23:25:25

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Mon 21-Mar-05 23:26:25

Nurofen defo. Must be for kids though.

It's so scary isn't it when this happens? How old is she?

trefusis Mon 21-Mar-05 23:29:38

Message withdrawn

HUNKERMUNKER Mon 21-Mar-05 23:31:07

Nurofen definitely suitable from six months and very good at temperature-reduction. Hope she's cooler soon xxx

gingernut Mon 21-Mar-05 23:32:22

How old is she? Nurofen not licensed for use for children under 6 months. It is better than calpol for reducing temperatures though, IMO. When did she last have calpol? You can alternate calpol and nurofen to keep on top of it. Also, remove some clothes and tepid sponge as trefusis said.

milge Mon 21-Mar-05 23:32:40

Tepid bath, leave her to dry on a towel, open window in her room,dress in a bodysuit, cover her only in a sheet, dose up with Nurofen( much better than Calpol at getting a temp down,wet flannel on head, repeat until temp comes down/NHS direct call. Good luck!

jamiesam Mon 21-Mar-05 23:34:18

Sponging with tepid water - if you use cold water, it's actually counter productive. Just use hand warm water and flannel/sponge. Keep taking temp to find out if it's working. If temp went up any further I'd ring NHS Direct back again. Good luck.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 23:35:16

Temp is at 39.2 so it looks like it's coming down a bit.

Forgot about the nurofen will give her that.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is that this morning she rolled her eyes in to the back of her head IYSWIM but immeadiatly after she put her arm over her eyes. She did it again about 10 mins after.

These things always happen when dh is away at work.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 23:35:48

She's 17 months btw.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 21-Mar-05 23:40:45

It's going down a bit now.

I might ring NHS back now, they might think I'm strange doing that though.

Thanks you lot.

Surfermum Mon 21-Mar-05 23:48:46

NBG do you have an out of hours service for your GP? I don't bother with NHS Direct, I just ring the out of hours doctor. DD was ill recentlyl and I was phoned back within 20 minutes each time.

Worrying isn't it when they're ill?

Niddlynono Mon 21-Mar-05 23:55:56

Glad to hear it's going down. My DS is prone to high temperatures and a few weeks ago I gave him a lukewarm bath at 2.30am! It only happens when my DH is working/away too and in the middle of the night. Sod's law.

Hope she's OK.

Chandra Mon 21-Mar-05 23:59:57

I second BExiboo about the lukewarm bath, leave her in at least 20m but don't let the the water get cold. It's the only thing that worked with DS at that age, and sometimes it meant 3 baths at night.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 22-Mar-05 00:09:24

I rang NHS direct back and told them that I've got her temp down so I'm not as worried so there was no need to ring back as I had just settled her back down as well and if the phone rang it would wake her at this time but because I mentioned the eye rolling incident they're insisting someone rings me back. Actually made me feel like I didn't care or something.

Titania Tue 22-Mar-05 01:03:37

When ds1 was like this the doc said to run a lukewarm bath then when he was in it to add a little more cold.

if not then maybe a cool damp flannel over her?

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 22-Mar-05 01:07:47

The doc rang back and said he's not overly concerned so I should go to bed now.

Thanks again everyone
Night.

HandbagAddiction Tue 22-Mar-05 08:28:56

How is she this morning? Did you manage to get any sleep at all last night?

This happened to me with dd a few weeks ago - when yep you've guessed it, dh was away. Fortunately, it was only a 24hr thing and apart from setting my alarm every 2 hours in the night to check on her and make sure she wasn't too hot...I think I got away with it lightly. Hope everything is OK now though.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 22-Mar-05 10:15:16

Hi

Got to bed at 2 [eyes like pee holes in the snow emoticon]!

DD then woke at 7 so I put her in my room and let her play with a jigsaw while a napped a little!
She seems alot better now, I don't know where the temp came from cos she'd been fine, no poorly signs at all.
Thanks for asking though.

sallycinnamon Tue 22-Mar-05 15:02:44

Can really sympathise with you. My dd gets a lot of urine infections which give her huge temperatures. She also does the eye rolling thing- I was told by a nurse its called a rigor, doesn't cause any probs but is quite scary to see. If I was you I'd go to the doc just to be on the safe side.

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 22-Mar-05 17:27:21

Had to call the doctor out to her because I still couldn't get her temp down and she's got Tonsilitus (sp).

I'm quite shocked because she showed no signs of it and came on so quickly.
Anyway she's got antibiotics now so she can get rid of it now.

trefusis Tue 22-Mar-05 18:21:01

Message withdrawn

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 22-Mar-05 18:26:25

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now