Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chickenpox without many spots?

(7 Posts)
TwoIfBySea Mon 21-Mar-05 20:34:23

Okay, after weeks of illness since they joined nursery dst1 (3)showed the first signs of what I think is chickenpox the other day. The only confusing things are these: he doesn't seem to find the spots particularly itchy, he only has less than a dozen dotted around his body (a few on his torso, abdomen, upper arms and 3 on his face.) So am I wrong in thinking this is chickenpox or is it about to get much worse?

I noticed there were loads of chickenpox threads which were helpful. My friend suggested using sudocrem on the spots which I have done and perhaps this is why he isn't scratching. Also dst2 has earache, I saw someone on another thread say their child had this before chickenpox appeared so what is the general opinion? I hope dst2 gets it as it would mean they could take the Easter break to recuperate, they have been through so much and I am sick of sickness!

TIA for advice and stories (believe me after reading the other threads it is so helpful, I don't want to go back to the doctors surgery as they think I'm an idiot!)

happymerryberries Mon 21-Mar-05 20:36:29

Ds only had about 12 spots in total, but he did find them itchy. He was very young when he got it, 3 months old. His started to develop in larger numbers and then most of them faded without developing into 'full blown' poxs. He wasn't ill with it at all.

coppertop Mon 21-Mar-05 20:38:38

Ds1 and ds2 had chickenpox a few months ago. Both had only a few spots. Ds1's were more noticeable because they were mainly on his face whereas ds2's were on his torso. Neither of them seemed to find it particularly itchy tbh.

Lonelymum Mon 21-Mar-05 20:40:17

You don't have to have many spots. I had three aparently (and my mother is a doctor so yes it was chicken pox).

When my three oldest had it, ds1 started. He had about 50 spots around his body which sounds a lot until you know that ds2 and dd had about 50 spots on their neck alone!

Next point, the spots don't have to be itchy. None of my children particularly found them itchy. I bought calamine lotion from the chemist which is meant to be the thing for chicken pox but isn't compulsory!

I have heard lots of stories of chicken pox doing the rounds right now so your ds could well have it. Oh, also wanted to say, my children were not really ill with it either. Ds1 was fine throughout. Ds2 had a temperature fro one afternoon only, and dd had one restless night. That was it. The rest of the time they were fine.
Do the spots look like fluid filled blisters? That is the best way of telling if it is chickenpox.

nutcracker Mon 21-Mar-05 20:46:46

Dd1 had chicken pox age 3 and only had about 8 spots and didn't seem to itch much at all. Dd2 caught it and was covered from head to foot, and was constantly scratching.

TwoIfBySea Mon 21-Mar-05 21:22:32

Yes I have the Calamine lotion for back up if he does start to find them itchy! I looked on the NHS website to see what the spots were meant to look like and they are similar but on the site the poor person was covered in them and that is what made me wonder.

The whole nursery has been struck down by them so it was only a matter of time, dst is one of the last to get them.

marj Mon 21-Mar-05 21:39:42

My ds had chickenpox several months ago and he didnt have many spots. They were mainly on his face with some on his abdomen - the ones on his abdo were really itchy and used to drive him mad. I gave him piriton to try and stop him scratching. He wasnt very ill though, just a bit clingy for a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now