Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sneaky tips for getting ey edrops in........please

(10 Posts)
Aimsmum Mon 21-Mar-05 20:23:44

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Mon 21-Mar-05 20:26:32

dd has this at the moment for the first time
I'm afraid the only way we can get them in is if dh holds her hands and I open her eye with one hand and drop them in with the other

Not nice

happymerryberries Mon 21-Mar-05 20:26:45

Can you do it when she is sleeping?

serenity Mon 21-Mar-05 20:30:39

DD has just had conjunctivitus and the only way I could put the ointment in her eyes was to wrap her in a towel to hold her arms down and then do it, but she's only 18 mths - I'm not sure if I could manage that with a 4 year old.

DS2 is 4 and just had a course of really disgusting antibiotics, we used bribery with him. Every time he had a spoon of medicine he got a chocolate to take away the taste. He needed it too, it was the foulest tasting stuff ever.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't think of anything more constructive!

emmatmg Mon 21-Mar-05 20:32:00

ok, i really doubt this will work but when ds3 has conjuctivius I lay him between my legs(head to my crutch) and......brace yourselves girls.......pin him down with his arm under my legs.

He's only 18 months which is why it works. He's had it 4 times now and we do this every time.
I know it sounds harsh but he doesn't struggle at all and actually get into the postition himslef now. If I try while he's "free" he'll thrash about and the stuff goes everywhere.

Not sure a 4 yr old would co-operate though.

Aimsmum Mon 21-Mar-05 20:40:32

Message withdrawn

SofiaAmes Mon 21-Mar-05 20:41:28

Is it drops or that goo stuff? Either way, paediatrician showed me with ds when he was a little baby and had a blocked tear duct and seemed to get infected eyes every other minute...Think this should work with a 4 year old too.
Sit on bed, get behind child who is also sitting on bed (so his back is against your chest) and reach left arm (if you are right handed) around to front of child and pull head back while holding eye open with thumb and middle finger. Drop the liquid in with right hand.
If it's the goo, then same position, but run the edge of tube along lower eyelid just above eyelash. The blinking afterwards will spread it into the eye.

Somehow, getting them from behind seems to give you better control.

stinky Mon 21-Mar-05 20:46:16

Saw doctor yesterday for DS and was advised to get him to lay on floor and close eyes, then put drops in corner of eye (next to nose) and then get him to blink several times (whilst lying on the floor). It works a treat.

CountessDracula Mon 21-Mar-05 20:46:56

thanks stinky I will try that

(great name btw!)

Aimsmum Mon 21-Mar-05 20:58:26

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now