Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3yr old recovered frm contipation now got white/pale poo plse HELP

(15 Posts)
4kids Fri 18-Mar-05 21:15:55

My 3yr old daughter suffers frm constipation now & again last episode lasted about 3m was giving lactolose & senna prescribed by doc dd's now been passing normally now 4 about 2m but her stools are white/pale yellow . I have noticed her twin sister also has light coloured poo does anyone know what it means?are they lacking in some thing i try to give them a healthy diet but are not great eaters.

tillykins Fri 18-Mar-05 21:27:07

You should have it checked out by your GP - but its probably something basic like a food they have eaten, since its both of them. It may sound silly but have they eaten lots of pale coloured food or lots of rice? My baby has that colour poo when he has diahorrea so perhaps its a digestive upset?

teenybump Sun 03-Apr-05 21:15:11

Hello - I have a 3 1/2 yr old who is suffering from constipation. She is soiling & wetting her pants as she is holidng in her poos. The toilet is a big issue at the moment. I have been prescribed lactalose - My problem is we have been starting and stopping using this but now find we should continue to use until problem resolved - what i need to know is how often to give and what amounts - Help

jampots Sun 03-Apr-05 21:18:28

probably nothing but maybe lacking in something so would definitely get her to the GP asap. Based on the fact that iron supplements turn poo black/dark maybe she is anaemic??

Disclaimer: I am not a nurse/doc or other qualified medical bod

HappyMumof2 Sun 03-Apr-05 21:20:47

Message withdrawn

jampots Sun 03-Apr-05 21:24:38

from searching "pale faeces" it seems to bring up pages relating to Hepatitis A (which apparently is common) as ONE of hte symptoms. However, please do not be alarmed. Probably is loads of dairy and that frigging lactulose has got to come out somewhere - please let us know how she is and what the GP says

teenybump Sun 03-Apr-05 22:10:24

Hi - I know that I can help with any advise in this topic but it your problems seem to stem from my childs problem. I am a desperate mum really looking for help and advice - 4kids I would love to know how you sorted your contipated child and what dosage you gave. I just dont know what to do for the best - my 3 1/2 yr old just will do anything rather than poo and its now a big issue for us all - Please help

jampots Sun 03-Apr-05 22:13:03

Its been a huge issue for me too teenybump - my 8 yo still gets very constipated so much so that at school hols we tend to overload him with lactulose/senna/picolax and let nature take its course when he doesnt have to be anywhere. However, last weekend he managed to completely offload himself - and dropped half a stone. Truly I have never seen anything like it!

starshaker Sun 03-Apr-05 22:13:12

sorry to hijack but has any1 noticed u dont seem to get white dog poo anymore sorry bit of a gross post but thought id throw it in anyway

teenybump Sun 03-Apr-05 22:20:59

Thanks jampots - my problme is that i am unsure of what lactalose acually does - I am scared of giving her too much and her having the runs - she is wettin gherself and soiling her pants trying to keep in poo in. Will the lactalose give her the runs?

Twiglett Sun 03-Apr-05 22:40:40

lactulose just softens the stools (they give it to you post-section) it won't give her diorrhea just makes it easier to pass

I don't know how much to give at one time, does it not say on the bottle?

I know you can give it for as long as is needed with no side effects though

jampots Sun 03-Apr-05 22:52:46

lactulose softens it all, senna will help to "work" the bowel and picolax just gets rid of EVERYTHING!

I suspect your dd is actually soiling from overflow which is common with constipation.

I know this is completely horrid but have you put her in the bath and massaged her tummy? (also putting some bubblebath/soap round her anus may help) but please dont say I said that

jampots Sun 03-Apr-05 22:53:30

ROFL starshaker. but you are right, I havent seen any white shite for a while (but it could be because I now live in a posher area)

rogan2001 Sun 03-Apr-05 22:59:28

teenybump, my ds has the same problem, he has 2 5ml spoonfulls of lactoluse twice a day, he has been taking it daily for 7 mths now, and he still tries to hold it in for as long as he can. I think it takes a long time to get this problem sorted, you must keep taking the lactoluse everyday, not just now and then.

teenybump Mon 04-Apr-05 19:51:43

Thanks Rogan 2001 and everyone else for thier comments - I will now give it daily and see if that works

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now