Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Today, I had an unexplained seizure..can anyone help?

(13 Posts)
Claire74 Fri 18-Mar-05 17:55:53

It was awful, I was at home with my 15 mth dd, we were both in the kitchen, all of a sudden I felt faint the next thing I knew I must of blacked out, as I came round having a seizure, I was half conscience, I couldn't see or hear anything but I was aware of my arms uncontrollably shaking and my head banging on the wall, and then it just came to an abrubt stop.

I then got up straight away and went straight to the lounge to get the phone, I wanted to call my dp and ask him to come home. For a brief time I forgot I had a dd, but quickly remembered before I called, and suddenly started panicking wondering where she was. I went into the kitchen and she was still playing with the same toy before all this happened , which makes me think it must of been all very quick.

My dp rushed home from work, as I was absolutely beside myself, just fearing the worst (epilepsy) and also thinking what could of happened if I hadn't come round , with my dd.

I went to the doctors, and she seems to think its unlikely to be epilepsy as I could recall having the seizure, and suggested I may have a viral infection, my blood pressure and temp were fine though.

I have been to the doctors for blood tests to look for low glucose, kidney infection etc..

Has anyone experianced this, or can someone shed any light on this for me..

Could it be epilepsy or maybe diabetes?

Anyone....?

beansprout Fri 18-Mar-05 17:57:38

Claire, no advice I'm afraid, but hope you are ok. That must be very frightening.

jampots Fri 18-Mar-05 17:58:22

my friend had one of these a few years ago whilst out shopping with her dd. She had tests at hospital but everything came back clear and she hasnt had one since - sounds very scary though.

Claire74 Fri 18-Mar-05 18:02:09

jampots , thats sort of comforting..I think!

Thanks beansprout

lou33 Fri 18-Mar-05 18:02:53

seizures can be a result of things other than epilepsy, but nothing is likely to be done until you have had a few tbh, and this may have been a one off. I have to say i disagree with the gp saying that because you remember some of it , then it wasnt epilepsy, as when you are coming out of an epileptic seizure you are able to hear and feel things, just not able to respond ( i am epileptic), but i am not saying that you have developed epilepsy.

Have you been ill recently? Try and recall what you were doing/eating/drinking, or how you were feeling beforehand, and keep a record of it again. If you have another one then take details of that as well, and see if there are similarities. Hopefully it was a one off, and you will be fine. It's scary when you come round like that, I hope you are ok.

Claire74 Fri 18-Mar-05 18:24:48

Lou33, thanks for that advice, I agree the gp was useless and that was wrong information that she gave me.

Answer to your questions ..I don't feel unwell, and I had eaten a good breakfast just before, the only thing I can think of I was very hot as had just done a pile of ironing, so I will do as you suggest and write that down.

Can I ask what test they did to diagnose you had epilepsy or was it just a case of having numerous seizures? How often did you have them initially.?

Oh and just before it happened I felt like I was going to faint, and was just thinking to myself god I feel faint..then it happened

kid Fri 18-Mar-05 18:31:24

I usually pass out for no reason. The Dr has put it down to low blood pressure. When I am going to faint, I know a few seconds before it happens. As I am waking up from the faint, my body jerks as the muscles are all starting to move together (or so I was told!) I usually remember quite quickly what happened, just a brief confusion while I try to figure out why I am on the floor.

I really hope they can find out what the reason for you passing out was, its not reassuring when they can't tell you or offer you any help.

I was just been told by the Dr that its better to have low than high blood pressure as no-one has ever died of low blood pressure.

I haven't fainted for almost 3 years now, still come over faint alot but know I have to sit down, eat or drink!

Claire74 Fri 18-Mar-05 18:41:41

kid that sounds alot like what happened to me, and maybe thats why my muscles were spasming.

The doctor took my blood pressure and it was fine....do you know if that means I haven't got low blood pressure, or may it show up in my blood tests.

When you think your feeling faint, do you have time to sit down then, as with me today, and the other one time I fainted 3years ago it was a split second between thinking I'm going to faint and fainting . Any tips on controlling that? (If of course it is that , I will know in 2 weeks)

kid Fri 18-Mar-05 18:49:33

The Dr monitored my blood pressure and said it was low, I don't know what it was or what it should be.
I get dizzy and have to sit down straight away. I was advised to eat regulary, even if it was just a cup of tea with some sugar in it.

The first time it ever happened to me, as I was coming round, I was dreaming I was on a bumpy bus ride, but was actually my muscle spasms!

I think where I am used to it, I know when it is going to happen. I don't get long to react but usually long enough to stop myself falling and hurting myself.

If you get even a little bit dizzy, or slight tunnel vision, you should sit down, even if you are out and have to sit on the kerb! It also helps to keep some water with you, especially in the warmer weather.

Claire74 Fri 18-Mar-05 19:00:00

Thanks kid, I will take on board everything you have said, and try and act quickly.

Did you ever worry it was epilepsy?

Miaou Fri 18-Mar-05 19:10:17

Hi there Claire, like kid I have v. low blood pressure, always described to me as "fine" by doctors - by which they mean "not high". Mine is 90/50, and still is even though I am 5 months pregnant atm! No more advice to add to kid's, except to say that by describing your blood pressure as "fine" it could still mean it is very low.

kid Fri 18-Mar-05 21:48:30

I did worry incase it was epilepsy as my mum said she had epilepsy when she was younger but outgrew it (?). I was glad when I found out it wasn't but still worried by the fact there was nothing that could completely control it. It has never really stopped me from doing anything other than feeling faint especially if I am ill.

Hope you can put it behind you and try and carry on usual. I reckon you will keep worrying about it happening again though which is completely normal and understandable.

lou33 Sat 19-Mar-05 13:26:18

claire, i have had epilepsy since i was a baby. There have been periods when i was supposed to have outgrown it, but i was rediagnosed about 16 years ago. I usually have absences, but last november i had 2 tonic clonic fits (the full blown type most epople think of with epilepsy). I was diagnosed by a series of history taking and eeg's, they put you through a series of brain activites, and record the brainwave patterns to see how you react.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: