This is page 1 of 1 (This thread has 21 messages.)
Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
she's at the hospital. She woke up a few days ago with slurring speech, has progressed to being unable to stand unaided and now blurry vision. She has bad epilepsy so they've been working along the lines of problems following a bad seizure. But EEg is now normal(ish) Her platelet count has come back as 25 so now they're saying she probably has bleeding into the brain. They have an MRI scan booked for next and the SHO is saying they should wait and see.
Bearing in mind that she is progressively getting worse and they don't know why her platelets are low (prob epilepsy drugs and no although she's on mega doses no-oone had bothered checking her bloods regularly) or why she is now unable to talk properly, stand or is losing vision my friend thinks they should be scanning her. I would assume they should be as well but am wondering if there is any reason that would be difficult.
She is autistic misdee, but its a different friend and different dd. TBH her care has been appalling all the way along (she's very complex medically and she's just been missed again and again). I think my friend has reacher her limit- as she's saying they're not the ones who will have to live with another level of disability and install hoists etc.
i think there is a general shortage of CT scanners (not sure if it's the people or the equipment IYSWIM), so it could take a few days wait for a CT scan rather than it happen immediately.
when my gran had a serious bleed in the brain a few years ago, we had to really push to get them to scan her, and it took several days before they did the scan. I suspect if we hadn't nagged they wouldn't have bothered (she was very poorly, no real hope of her withstanding any surgery).
so sorry to hear about your friend's daughter's problems.
Thannks MTS- that's what I suspected. Good - glad I told her to push (she was originally under ds1's paed- who has been negligent with her care imo - he is crap- and lots of things which should have been done never have been).
Scanners are usually very hard to get into. There will be a bit of a wait, unless Dr thinks it to be urgent, which would be dependant on the little girls condition. Try and say how concerned mother is and be a bit pushy. Try and get the balance right though, Dr's have large egos and don't like to be told their job!
MIL had a scan within a few days after being taken ill at home last year. Getting the result was the problem - it took them 6wks to tell her what they'd found (a stroke). I really hope your friend's dd starts to improve and doesn't need a scan at all, Jimjams.
Its my experience at the moment (mum in hospital been quite poorly, as yet undiagnosed!) that if you don't push them they take their time. I had to arrange a CT for mum because no one at the hospital had actually requested one, they were supposed to have done but it somehow slipped through the net and I had to be really persistent and make many phonecalls to get it arranged. They then gave me an appt for the next week and that was regarded as urgent!! Not how it should be - makes me really cross
She's having an MRI scan next Tuesday. No CT scan. My friend has been told she should regard the slurring of speech and inability to stand as permanent damage and go home and get on with it. She's been told its unlikely to be a stroke (having seen the consultant and not the SHO) and my friend is under the impression that he thinks its some degenerative brain disease. Oh dear, bedside manner rather gone out the window again
It sounds as if next Tuesday is reasonable though. my friend is mad because she says if they hadn't faffed around waiting to see what happened on Wednesday she coould have been booked in for a scan today,
I'm seeing her later tonight but she's gone home and is getting on with it
well yesterday her eyes started shooting around the place (looked awful- pupils are fully dilated and she clearly couldn't see very well). They did a CT scan which didn't show much. Platelets have gone back up to normal which suggests she has had a brain bleed apparently (although not according to consultant this morning). The were going to do an emergencty mri but the oxygen cylinder was broken so couldn't (???). So now she's been transferred to a hospital 2 hours away to see a neurologist and have an mri. positkive vibes please.
Jimjams, so sorry to hear that your friend's DD continues to have problems. I really hope that her being transferred to a more specialised unit helps with getting some more humane support/aftercare for her mum.