Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

QUICK QUICK!!! PLEASE HELP

(55 Posts)
sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:02:51

Talk to me, I am giving up smoking today and I really want to go and have one now, so talk me out of it pleeeaassseeeeeee!!!

WigWamBam Fri 18-Mar-05 10:04:27

Stay on here and talk for a bit, the craving will pass. It's fantastic that you're giving up smoking, just keep thinking of all the positive benefits that come with it.

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:05:17

I know, going to put my £4 in a pot later..... I am going shopping with my best mate later, that will keep me sane!!

Bouj Fri 18-Mar-05 10:05:58

Keep busy, have a cup of tea, just concentrate on not having this cigarette, rather than the big picture.

WigWamBam Fri 18-Mar-05 10:06:25

Think of all the money that you're going to save if you keep putting away all the money that you would spend on cigarettes! Start planning your shopping spree now!

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:07:34

I have a cup of tea! I am taking it fag by fag!! lol I am not thinking about tomorrow at the moment....
Its been 10 hours since my last one and normally I would have had about 6 by now

anorak Fri 18-Mar-05 10:07:41

Mieow I don't smoke, and I just hate it the next morning after I've been to the pub and all my clothes and hair smell of it...yuk!

Aren't you supposed to put fag ends in a jam jar with water and sniff it every time you fancy smoking? They say it smells so awful the craving goes immediately

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:08:15

was up at 6am.

WigWamBam Fri 18-Mar-05 10:08:54

Would it help to have something to do with your hands? Read a book, do some knitting or sewing, something like that?

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:08:57

craving passed!!! thanks...

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:09:43

use Mumsnet!!! Thats using my fingers good excuse me thinks!!!

WigWamBam Fri 18-Mar-05 10:10:07

Fantastic excuse. And keeping your mind busy with other things, too.

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:10:40

and I can have instance support!!! Fab!!

Kelly1978 Fri 18-Mar-05 10:10:55

Keep it going sparklymieow!
Cravings can be really bad, but they usually only last 20 mins or so then ease off. Try sucking lolipops - it gives u something to occupy ur mouth and hands. It helped me no end, I gave up on my kids bday, nearly two years ago. It gets easier.

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:11:47

I am guessing that you were born in 1978, kelly, I was 1979 baby!!

Kelly1978 Fri 18-Mar-05 10:13:02

Yep! Started smokign at 17, gave up aged 24. I was on 30 a day, and have terrible willpower, if I can do it anyone can.

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:15:11

I started at 16, stopped while I was pregnant 2 times!!! and then stopped altogether when DD1 was rushed to hopsital with Bronilitis, that was 4 years ago, then, I am ashamed to say I restarted 16 months ago....

anorak Fri 18-Mar-05 10:16:18

I have a friend who is always giving up! She likes to embark on a big sewing project to keep her hands busy. Something intricate that she has to concentrate on, then it takes her mind off smoking too.

merrygoround Fri 18-Mar-05 10:17:21

Keep it up sparklymiouw - I used to tell myself that I was no longer a slave to the fags, and didn't have to drag that ball and chain around with me. Have you done this with any support (apart from MN of course?) There are telephone support services now aren't there, provided via the NHS? Personally I found the Allen Carr book great, but know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Soon you will be able to see days as open canvases, rather than full of the images of each time you would have had a fag.

charleepeters Fri 18-Mar-05 10:18:21

i started smoking 15 gave up when i was 16 and fell pregnant with ds never saw the pont of staring after i had stopped for 9 months but thats just me!

Kelly1978 Fri 18-Mar-05 10:19:05

Well, if you've done it before you can definately do it again.
I had the odd lapse, but my biggest shame is that I smoked thru both my pgs, cud't give up, even when I got pnuemonia. I'm so glad I got there in the end tho, cos I've saved so much money and I'm near the end of a twin pg, and god knows wht smoking wud have done to them. I'd tried everything - patches, inhalor, gum, zyban but in the end it was lollipops and willpower!

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:20:54

I have done it so many times, this time seems the hardest...

Kelly1978 Fri 18-Mar-05 10:21:20

merrygoround is soo right. The best thing about giving up is not being a slave to nicotine cravings. I no longer have to worry about getting my next fix, and although it feels like nicotine relieves stress, I felt a lot less stressed when I wasn't smoking. The sense of freedom is unbelievable.

Kelly1978 Fri 18-Mar-05 10:22:35

What made you try to give up again this time? Put it in writing so u can see why you are doing this!

sparklymieow Fri 18-Mar-05 10:23:43

I am shocked myself, I haven't half as bad as I thought I would be, I am calm with the kids, but did have a craving while driving them to school (but I never smoked on the school runs) I am not thinking about when I would have had a fag, just taking the craving as and when they happen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now