Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I get treatment done at the dentist when I am pregnant?

(10 Posts)
beatie Thu 17-Mar-05 12:29:06

I have a broken tooth. I have had it for some time and was putting off having it seen to until after the baby is born but it is giving me a bit of pain so I know I need to go now... but, is it safe to have treatment whilst I am pregnant. I am 15 weeks?

Pamina3 Thu 17-Mar-05 12:29:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZoeB Thu 17-Mar-05 12:31:43

you must inform your dentist as well as reception as some treatment is not recommended

macwoozy Thu 17-Mar-05 12:31:47

And no dental xrays.

starshaker Thu 17-Mar-05 12:37:33

not to totally depress you but i had the same problem i broke a tooth and was in agony for about 3 days till i managed to get an emergancy appointment. he looked and said yes it needs to come out and i then told him i was pregnant and he said oh dear all i can do is give u anti biotics to clear any infection or i could take it out without any pain relief needless to say i still have the tooth but only 4 weeks till bumps is here so not long now. i was also only about 14 weeks and ive had toothache most of the time

beatie Thu 17-Mar-05 13:09:49

Oh no Starshaker. How dreadful for you - and potentially for me. It's my own fault for not getting it sorted out beforehand but still, the thought of 6 months of toothache. Yuck!

So, are you going to have anything put in as a replacement or just have a gap where the tooth once was?

starlover Thu 17-Mar-05 15:53:32

starshaker that's awful!

I had a similar problem and ended up having a root canal done. I was 12 weeks pregnant and my dentist said that there is only one kind of pain relief that they can't give and she doesn't use it anyway!
Everything else is safe... I certainly suffered no effects from having the injections (had 4!)

WigWamBam Thu 17-Mar-05 16:06:34

I had dental work done with anaesthetic when I was pregnant with no problems. The dentist did warn me that the anaesthetic he used might not be as effective as the one he normally uses, but it was fine. He put me a temporary filling into the tooth, which was then replaced when dd was born as it wouldn't have been hard enough for a permanent filling.

scotlou Thu 17-Mar-05 16:26:45

I broke a tooth when 8.5 months pregnant - at least, a chunk of tooth fell off - they used a special material to seal it (needed 2 attempts) and then I got it fixed properly after dd was born. (A long time after the birth - hte "temporary" fix was working so well I didn't want to go back - I hate dentists!)

starshaker Thu 17-Mar-05 18:52:07

maybe its a scotland thing lol but ive got an appointment for after bumps is born just gonna get what i can done then. its a phobia dentist i go to normally and the gonna knock me out yay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now