Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help! Missed Post Natal Check/Vaccinations

(6 Posts)
JuJuMoo Thu 17-Mar-05 10:56:27

Hi everyone, need some urgent advice ... due to one thing and another, I've missed a couple of appointments at my GP's - one for myself (I had to attend court that day and did rearrange) once because I was ill, and today I got the appointment time wrong - confusion. The GP has asked that I register at another practice - which is fine as I wasn't happy anyway ... the problem is, and I accept some responsibility - my baby hasn't had his 8week post natal check. Baby is now 12 weeks and I'm getting really worried! It could be another week or two before I can get in to see another GP! I explained this to my original GP and they basically told me "tough shit" ... it is my fault but what can I do now? Baby has had no vaccinations and I've got Bronchitis (but I've had this for two weeks) and I'm worried baby may catch something. Should I even dare take him out now his immunity is fading? How serious is this? I'd be grateful for any advice. (I'll be getting a GP allocated in the next couple of days but it's then going to be a case of waiting to get an apt with the new GP)

JuJuMoo Thu 17-Mar-05 10:59:02

Sorry, I don't mena post natal check - thats for me isn't it - I've had mine and I'm okay, its my babies 8w week assessment and vaccinations that we've missed. Thanks

beansprout Thu 17-Mar-05 11:02:47

My surgery didn't bat an eye lid at doing mine at over 10 weeks (ds born in Oct so Xmas got in the way). I'm sure as long as you go asap it will be ok. If it were urgent I'm sure they would squeeze you in? I didn't see the dr anyway but the nurse. Do you have to see your GP? Could a nurse do it either at the surgery or a clinic?

JuJuMoo Thu 17-Mar-05 11:07:46

Thanks, at my surgery its with both the GP and the nurse. I did ask if they could squeeze me in today but they said they were full :-( You are right, if it was ~that~ serious perhaps they'd have seen me today, although they were oviously annoyed with me for missing the apt's and weren't being too helpful.

Flossam Thu 17-Mar-05 11:17:43

The imms protect against Hib, diptheria, tetanus, polio, and whooping cough. Meningtitus is givennow too. It should not make baby any more susceptable to catching a chest infection. Be pushy at your new GP's, ask to speak to the nurse (she is the one likely to give the imms) and see if she can squeeze you in sometime sooner.

Flossam Thu 17-Mar-05 11:18:40

Sorry, not having the imms shouldn't make baby any more susceptable to catching your illness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: