Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A question about teeth and chewing

(7 Posts)
PrettyCandles Thu 17-Mar-05 10:42:42

My 4yo has always chewed on one side of his mouth, though in recent months has become more cooperative about sometimes chewing on the other side. But his teeth often squeak while he chews now, especially when he chews on the 'old' side, IYSWIM.

His jaw has always been lopsided - it seems perfectly symetrical from the outside, but the bite was very crooked from the inside, with only one side meeting. I think that's why he got into the habit of only chewing on one side. But, oddly, he chews on the side that doesn't seem to meet. As he grows, it is becoming more symmetrical.

Do I need to worry? So far, whenever he has gone to the dentist, they have said that it is far too early to be concerned by anything structural in his mouth, including his finger-sucking. But the last time we wnet to the dentist (it was only the first time this dentist had seen ds) she said that we needed to wean him off finger-sucking as it was making his jaw crooked. But I know that his jaw is actually straightening out! OK, his front two top teeth are a bit crooked, but the rest is straightening but she hasn't seen him before so she doesn't know that.

PrettyCandles Thu 17-Mar-05 14:00:36

bump?

PrettyCandles Fri 18-Mar-05 15:13:47

Has nobody had a child with squeaky teeth? My ds is unique!

PrettyCandles Fri 18-Mar-05 23:18:54

Surely someone knows something about squeaky teeth?

ionesmum Fri 18-Mar-05 23:35:01

Sorry, Prettycandles, can't help but lots of sympathy - my dd1 is showing signs of her dummy-chewing and also chews her fingers (no dummy during the day!) If you believe his jaw getting straighter then it is - and you have been looking every day. I'd trust you rinstincts. And it's too soon to do anything yet anyway, so why worry? If he does need some straightening it's not the end of the world. FWIW I had loads of orthodontic treatment from the ages of about 11 to 13 and it was soooooo worth it. Now my teeth are really easy to keep clean and I hardly get any trouble at all - or need to visit the dentist!

PrettyCandles Sun 20-Mar-05 14:27:15

A reply! Thanks, ionesmum .

It's really the squeaking I'm worried about (or wondering whether I should be worried about).

But I agree with you, I'd rather have a contented, finger-sucking good sleeper and pay for orthodontics in 10 year's time, than a straight-toothed nervous wreck. Ds has been very co-operative in only sucking to sleep, and not while awake.

PrettyCandles Mon 21-Mar-05 21:35:54

Me again! Looking for anyone who knows anything about squeaky teeth [hopeful icon].

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now