Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Plates of skull not joined properly - 6 mth old

(8 Posts)
weeboagie Wed 16-Mar-05 14:37:55

Hi,

My dd who is 6 months has ridges on her head where you can feel the different plates on her skull. You can actually feel a small gap between them (about 2mm) and can see a vein pulse when she is agitated.

I was aware that all babies are born with the plates not fused but was concerned that after all this time it was still so noticable. I took her to the GP who said that although it was not normal, it was nothing to worry about and they should all fuse by the time she is 1 year old.

Still can't help worrying and am constantly checking her wee noggin'!!!

Has anyone else experienced this?

donnie Wed 16-Mar-05 14:56:31

my dd's skull was misshapen until she stopped sleeping on he back: it was flat at the back and she looked like Frankenstein!not the same as your dd but I think the point is the skull at that age is very soft and malleable and if the GP has said not to worry I would trust that advice.The fontanelle is clearly present in some cases for quite a long time I think. HTH.

WigWamBam Wed 16-Mar-05 15:01:08

According to this and other health web sites the plates don't fully fuse until a baby is about 18 months old.

weeboagie Wed 16-Mar-05 18:58:53

Thanks for the reassurance and the link.

tiffini Wed 16-Mar-05 19:06:21

my ywins are almost 16months and thier fontanelles still hav'nt closed,i dont think it is anything to worry about as they are closing slowly and hav'nt come to a full stop

Jimjams Wed 16-Mar-05 19:40:25

my first 2 were like this- I was worried with my third as his is much smaller and hard to find! (hv said normal)

cornishbird Wed 16-Mar-05 20:46:19

I would suggest cranial osteopathy. Theres lots about it on internet. Visited chiropractor who did this with both my dc, they work wonders with loads of problems. Check it out...

BadgerBadger Wed 16-Mar-05 23:53:21

DD1's fontanelle didn't fully close until she was around 2 years. DD2 was born with a smaller one which is already (at 6 months) the size DD1's was at about 18 months.

I once rang NHS direct after DD1 had a minor bump to her head, I was in a tizz as I could feel what I thought was a skull injury. It took them ages to convince me it was just her suture lines (the ridges between the plates).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now