Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dd2 was choking today and we had to call an ambulance...

(11 Posts)
emkana Tue 15-Mar-05 19:20:00

... I gave her some popcorn type sweets and she started choking on them. I was terrified, so was dh, we were frantically slapping her back and I called an ambulance. Dd1 was screaming at the top of her voice "I don't want an ambulance" - the poor thing was frightened, as the last time she came across an ambulance was when dd2 scalded herself six months ago and we had to go into hospital.
I was completely shocked because the operator put my dh on hold for several minutes - by that time dd2 was okay again, and they didn't need to come out after all, but what if she hadn't been???
dd2 certainly keeps us on our toes, mind!

One question to all you mumsnetters: Dh put his fingers in her throat to dislodge the horrible sweets - I know you're not really supposed to do that, but does anybody know why? Do I have to worry about any after-effects now, or will it be okay if she seems happy and okay?

Whizzz Tue 15-Mar-05 19:23:10

Not a medical expert but it is because you could push the object further down ? Think back slaps are best - face child face down across your knees with head lower is poss.

Whizzz Tue 15-Mar-05 19:28:01

Health Advice from internet
Choking in a baby or child

For a baby – lay it face down along your forearm, keeping the head low, for the back slaps.
Turn the baby face up on your arm and remove any obvious obstruction.
If back slaps have failed, place two fingertips on the lower half of the baby's breastbone.
Give up to five thrusts into the chest.
Check the mouth again.
Repeat the entire sequence if necessary.
For a child – proceed as for an adult, but you may have to kneel rather than stand.

ie.Stand behind the person who is choking, place your arms around their waist, and bend them forward.
Clench your fist and place it right above the person's belly button.
Place your other hand on top, then thrust both hands backwards and upwards into the stomach with a hard movement.
Repeat this with alternating back slaps until the object which is stuck is expelled from their mouth.

jangly Tue 15-Mar-05 19:31:08

Don't you ball your two fists together and place them under ribs. Then pull back hard to expel air, and hopefully dislodge the thing. God, I hope I never have to do that. I remember when DD1 got hold of some tinfoil (!) and put it in her mouth and it got stuck, I held her upsidedown and banged her back. It dislodged it! Think this is every parent's nightmare.I'm sure she'll be fine now though.

jangly Tue 15-Mar-05 19:32:32

Posts crossed with Whizz. Much better put!

emkana Tue 15-Mar-05 19:44:21

I read up on what we should have done afterwards.

But do you think dh has done her any harm by putting his fingers in? She's asleep now, but seemed quite happy in her bath earlier.

Just worrying if there's anyhting I shoudl look out for.

Whizzz Tue 15-Mar-05 19:47:22

I wouldn't have thought so, especially as you got the sweet out. I'd see how she is in the morning - but I bet she forgets all about it.

bunny3 Tue 15-Mar-05 19:47:22

I did a paedriatric firstaid course aslt week and from what I remember, putting things down a childs throat can force the object further down. As this was obviously not he case with your ddd, I'd say dh did no damage but call your gp if you are still worried.

bunny3 Tue 15-Mar-05 20:04:06

look Whizz - we posted at exactlythe same moment

Whizzz Tue 15-Mar-05 20:04:31

Spooky !

emkana Tue 15-Mar-05 20:06:52

Thanks for your answers.

Am only now not shaking anymore. It was so frightening! Need some chocolate and/or wine now I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now