Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gastro - sore bits :(

(8 Posts)
lunavix Tue 15-Mar-05 13:52:07

Ds has caught gastro from a friend at our playgroups again This time it's quite severe, and he woke up covered head to toe in runny poo. When I stripped him off for a bath, I noticed his bits were red-raw and a little swollen, assuming its the liquid and stuff that they were rubbing in for a few hours that have done it.

They're still just as bad though, and terribly sore looking with open-sore-nappy-rash looking marks around them, and when I try to wipe his bum and bits after a nappy changes he screams and is unconsolable for about 20 minutes

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do?

bundle Tue 15-Mar-05 13:53:50

try leaving his nappy off for a bit and apply metanium when putting nappy back on. poor thing

lunavix Tue 15-Mar-05 13:56:16

I'm a bit wary of leaving his nappy off as he has severe squits... about every 20 minutes

SleepyJess Tue 15-Mar-05 13:57:11

Lunavix.. mine used to get this with gastroenteritis-related diarrhoea.. and Savlon cream (the ordinary type in the blue tube) worked a treat when none of the other nappy-rash creams did. Worth a try.

SJ x

bundle Tue 15-Mar-05 13:58:03

ikwym lunavix!

Mollydolly Tue 15-Mar-05 14:02:47

Lunavix, try Morhulin cream (available from god Pharmacies)It was recommended to me and it is fab! I recommended it to a friend who's baby had a bowel problem which made his poo very acidic and consequently he had a sore bum all the time. She'd tried everything, eve stuff the consultant had prescribed and none had worked - she tried this and it worked a treat, so much so that the consultant took the details to recommend for to other mums of babies with bowel/tummy problems. Hope you find some soon for little ones poorly bottom.

PrettyCandles Tue 15-Mar-05 14:03:20

The bits get sore because the food goes through the digestive system too quickly, so you get stomach acid and digestive enzymes where they shouldn't be. It's horrible. Don't use wipes at all, but try cleaning his nappy area with olive oil on cottonwool or well-rinsed-out wipes. Or you could try Aveeno or Aqueous Cream instead of olive oil. Use plenty of Sudocreme everywhere, including on his anus, to act as a barrier.

Mollydolly Tue 15-Mar-05 14:04:04

Did I say "god" poharmacies? Meant "good" - the cream is miraculous but that's ridiculous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now