Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Personal consultation with JIMJAMS if it is not too cheeky to ask

(9 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 15-Mar-05 11:49:24

Jimjams,

I've always bought the official line on MMR and didn't doubt I would immunise my children, but I've just skimmed the current thread and read about risks if you have auto immune diseases in the family.

Bit of an ignoramus but did this count?

Dh: gout
Me: allergies - hayfever, grass pollen, cats
11 month old ds: eczema and currently querying dairy intolerance

Concerned about right decision for ds.

No family history of autism. Is there some published evidence on auto immune disease and MMR?

I'm going to start googling......

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Mar-05 12:41:50

Bumping to try and catch Jimjams attention

Chandra Tue 15-Mar-05 12:57:34

Crohns disease? gluten intolerancy?... just really bumping it for you and to say hello to Jimjams, who I have been very tempted to contact just to rant about my little gilded cage, however I don't expect she would be available for such mundane dilemas, would she?? . BEst of luck in whatever you decide.

Chandra Tue 15-Mar-05 12:59:53

P.S. How does DS reacted to previous vaccines? DS has eczema (severe at that age) and reacted badly to the shots, so we went SepVax, but I'm an ignorant in the subject to I better leve Jimjams to answer to you

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Mar-05 13:27:49

Thanks for bumping Chandra.

He hasn't reacted badly to previous vaccines. If Jimjams isn't around I might try bumping again tomorrow.

Jimjams Tue 15-Mar-05 13:30:51

Of course I would Chandra

I'm not sure there's much published evidence as such- not peer reveiwed anyway- publishing papers showing links between autism and vax isn't very popular (is also difficult to do).

The only published piece I'm aware of is the one showing the link between thimerosal and autistic like behaviours and structural brain changes in mice prone to autoimmunity.

People like Wakefiled have suggested that autoimmunity + thimerosal + live virus (in woild or vax form) could be bad news- but its speculation.

On the other thread I gave links to visceral and the autism research unit - that'll be the best bet for published stuff.

Gout is something that Allergy induced Autism cite as a risk factor. A researcher + mother (natasha cmapbell mcbride) has written a piece for The Autism File suggesting that an eczema flare up should be a contraindication for vaccination.

If your family history was mine I would take into account how severe the eczema and asthma was- if it was severe and atopic then I would be wary. otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

Jimjams Tue 15-Mar-05 13:31:49

the thimerosal one isn't directly relevant to MMR trhough- unless as suggested by Wakefiled it can act as an initial hit allowing a live virus to then trigger the regression.

Beetroot Tue 15-Mar-05 13:32:21

Message withdrawn

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Mar-05 13:40:32

Thanks Jimjams

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now