This is page 1 of 1 (This thread has 16 messages.)
Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
At my scan yesterday they found both twins are breeech, and one is still growing very slowly, so it looks like a c section before the end of the week for me.
What I wanted to know is, if I cn ask to be sterilized at the same time? With four kids I'm def not planning any more and cos I have probs with contraception was plannign to go for a sterilization soon in any case.
I'm sure I've heard of people being sterilized during cesareans, and need to know if it is a possibility to ask the consultant this morning.
Yes you can, but consultants don't always like to do it as they feel your decision making may be influenced because you are pregnant and hormonal. But if you can convince yoru conultant that this is a rational, well thought out decision it is possible.
I was asked if i wanted to be steralized when i had my 3rd child. It was my 3rd section, and i had a prob during pregnancy that would get worse in any future pregnancies.
I refused on the basis that although i didn't want any more children at that point, i was only 24 (am 26 now) and i couldn't say for sure that i wouldn't change my mind.
They were annoyed as they said even if i wanted more children, they considered it too risky and so sterilization was highky recommended.
I am glad i refused because i have since discovered that having a 4th section isn't actually that uncommon or that risky and also that lots of women have had subsequent pregnancies with the other prob i have.
You can be sterilised at C/S Kelly, but many consultants prefer not to do it because of a few reasons.
The risk of failure is higher because the tubes are much bigger during pregnancy and there is a risk that they can reattach themselves again. Certainly they are tied, cut and the ends diathermied (cauterised) but the failure rate is 1:200 instead of 1:2000 when done later.
The other issue is that there is a risk something could happen to the baby either at delivery or the risk of cotdeath in the first few months. As already mentioned, your mindset may not be the best when about to deliver or having just delivered. We have been talking about it on the other thread. I myself got sterilised when DD was 3 months (babe no.4)
During my second section the surgeon told me that if we had arranged it before hand she could have sterilsed me at the same time. I wish I had known before, as I was 42 and had absolutely no plans for any more children.
sorry to hijack but I've got a quick question to those ladies who've been sterilised... what's the procedure like, recovery etc.?
I've been given a POP (microval) by my GP for contraception (I'm 37 and ex smoker) and now have had feedback that there might be side effects like weight gain and depression etc so looking for other viable options.
When I said "after" I actually meant "during" so I can't help, Mrs D.
My SIL had it done though - many years ago, her youngest is nearly 24, may be different now - and said the worst bit was all the gas swilling around inside afterwards (she was sort of inflated apparently!)
i asked this question when i was pg with ds2, who is now four, as there was a possibility i would have a c/s. The consultant said they can do it, but prefer to give it at least 3 months after, as failure rates of sterilisation are higher if done immediately after birth, due to the tubes being swollen. Give it 3 months and they are back to their normal size, and the clips are unlikely to slip
Thanks for all the replies, I've only just checked back to the thread. I think I will wait until after, my main concern being if something was to happen to the babies and I was sterile. I'm 26 btw, quite young for it, but with 4 kids (the twins were an accident) I def don't want more. I was going to ask the consultant, but after all the arguements about me wanting the section this week, I doubt she thinks I'm rational to make such a decision anyway!