Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

correct dosage paracetamol for one year old?

(7 Posts)
hazlinh Tue 15-Mar-05 03:28:43

one year old dd had a fever over the weekend and pharmacist wasnt in so a lady working at the pharmacy gave me some paracetamol suppositories she said were alright for a one year old. but my mum said not to use them cos the lady wasnt a pharmacist and to double check. the dosage of paracetamol in each suppository is 250 gm. is that correct?

gingerbear Tue 15-Mar-05 06:01:10

hi hazlinh, I have no idea about suppositories - is there a difference between oral dose and rectal dose?? but paracetemol syrup (Calpol) has 120mg per 5ml spoonful. The dosage for 1 to 6 years old is one to two spoonfuls - so that would be 240mg for 10 mls.
I would try to see a pharmacist and double check.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 15-Mar-05 07:25:13

I'd definately talk to a pharmacist, as the amount of drug they get may vary with the delivery mechanism - maybe stomach acids destroy some of the paracetamol you eat?

gingerbear Tue 15-Mar-05 11:02:31

bump, anyone help hazlinh??

hazlinh Wed 16-Mar-05 01:24:42

thanks gingerbear and notquitecockney...i guess i'll go to the pharmacists !!but from what u say, ginge, it sounds like it shud be ok...but better safe than sorry i suppose!!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 16-Mar-05 07:48:29

I would certainly talk to a pharmacist. A quick websearch found this paper, which suggests you need to give more paracetamol for a suppository dose for a child.

hazlinh Wed 16-Mar-05 08:03:51

wow. very informative and highly technical paper (I-M-humble-O). thanks for that, notquitecockney.will go and hunt down that pharmacist!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now