Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

microwaving formular milk

(13 Posts)
huggybear Mon 14-Mar-05 21:45:02

do u microwave your babies bottles to heat them up?

is it ok to do so? have heard conflicting opinions

mummytosteven Mon 14-Mar-05 21:46:34

i did at times. but apparently microwaving it can destroy some of the nutrients there have been previous threads on here about this. the other danger with microwaving is if you forget to shake the milk up thoroughly, there's a risk there could be hotspots in the milk, as microwaves don't heat things through 100% evenly

pixiefish Mon 14-Mar-05 21:46:53

Personally don't (cos i don't bottlefeed) but my friend used to. so long as you shake it thoroughly after and leave it as long to stand as its been in the microwave then it should be ok.

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 21:47:25

everyone I've known always has .. just shake it really well afterwards

all advice is not to because of risk of hot spots

but 40 secs in a microwave is so easy

mrspink27 Mon 14-Mar-05 21:47:28

yes usually, no teat on.
then before give it to dd2 really good shake and check temp...always err on cooler rather than warmer...

wobblyknicks Mon 14-Mar-05 21:47:51

If you put the powder in just before you use the bottle you can warm it to exactly the temp you want by just adding freshly boiled water to the cold plain boiled water, simple! Don't faff with a microwave.

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 21:48:52

TBH I think its best to go room temp anyway .. so just add the powder to water that's been left to cool on the side just before you give it

I never warmed any of DS's bottles (he went on formula from 3.5 months)

mears Mon 14-Mar-05 21:49:25

The advice is not to because of risk of burning baby with hotspots. The other reason is that some of the vitamin content is destroyed by microwaving. Lots of mums do it however, and shake the bttle well to eliminate hotspots. Babies actually do not need heated bottles at all though. Room temperature is fine so even a few minutes in a jug of hot water is enough to take off coldness of bottle during the night. During the day the bottle could be out of the fridge to come to room temp before you need it.

huggybear Mon 14-Mar-05 21:49:55

My dh wont let me microwave them vut at 5.30am in the morning it just seems so much easier

mummytosteven Mon 14-Mar-05 21:51:08

right- what I would do in that position is put the kettle on for cooled boiled water before you go to bed, leave it, then just use the water from the kettle for the first bottle in the morning

or you could buy some ready made cartons, and serve at room temp

huggybear Mon 14-Mar-05 21:54:30

the little devil will only drink it hot. hes one. Im just so lazy at that time in the morning.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 14-Mar-05 21:55:24

We started out with a bottle warmer and realised that it was rubbish and just started to use the microwave.

DH didn't like it and then one morning he let me sleep in (or so he thought) and I heard the beeping on the microwave!!

wobblyknicks Mon 14-Mar-05 21:56:02

Just do bottles with only water, and measure out powder into a container. Then all you have do is boil a kettle, shove it in until it's right, then add the powder, perfect for early morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now