Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much calpol is too much?

(8 Posts)
kbaby Mon 14-Mar-05 21:38:00

DD keeps waking and crying at night. DP keeps saying oh shes teething and give her some calpol. Shes had calpol now for about the past 5 nights just a dose at night but I think this is too much and we shouldnt be giving it.
What do you think.
dd is 9 months

pixiefish Mon 14-Mar-05 21:42:06

the packet says 3 days. I've never given calpol for longer than 2 nights. Try to give baby nurofen so that you're not building up the paracetamol. I'd phone the hv/doc for advice

Katemum Mon 14-Mar-05 21:43:40

Have you tried any of the other remedies for teething? Am thinking of things like (i think it's called) Ashton and Parsons Powders?

lunavix Mon 14-Mar-05 21:44:28

theres a powder called 'teetha' you can get from health food stores or chemists. It's great

lunavix Mon 14-Mar-05 21:45:19

It's natural too i think...
We also use an aromatherapy oil for teething you rub on their cheeks which eases the pain, he hates it going on but I'm sure it works as he calms down.

Newyearmum Mon 14-Mar-05 21:45:52

We were in an identical situation last week.

Basically dd (8 months) started waking up at night and for the first couple of nights I think she really was teething. Each night we'd go in, calm her down and give her some Calpol. By the 5th night we realised that she probably wasn't teething ... she'd just got used to us going in giving cuddles and squirting some yummy sweet liquid into her mouth! So the 6th night I waited 10 mins before going in (by which time she was hysterical), then just cuddled her briefly, put her back down and left the room. She cried for 5 more minutes then... sleep. And she's slept through every night since then.

Teething is a good catch-all, but it sounds to me like you've been as hoodwinked as we were!

PS Don't worry about the Calpol, it does NO harm at all unless you OD on the dosage, which you haven't

ThomCat Mon 14-Mar-05 21:46:18

Try teething powders or calgel. I wouldn't keep giving her calpol personally speaking. only ever used it a couple of times over 3 years. Lottie enjoyed the powder and would open her mouth in anticipation but any medicine we've ever had to administer has taken 2 people and a stuggle.

handlemecarefully Mon 14-Mar-05 21:53:58

I agree with Pixiefish - if you are uncomfortable with it alternate with junior ibruprofen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now