Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bruises on 4 year old's arms and legs

(11 Posts)
cutekids Mon 14-Mar-05 21:25:35

MY 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER KEEPS GETTING BRUISES ON HER ARMS AND LEGS.JUST AS ONE FADES, IT SEEMS SHE GETS ANOTHER. I KNOW THAT KIDS ARE FOREVER BUMPING THEMSELVES AND HOPEFULLY THAT'S ALL IT IS, BUT I'M STARTING TO PANIC. THE BRUISES SEEM TO START OFF QUITE ORANGEY BROWN COLOURED. ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT?

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 21:36:53

are they small little round bruises in the main?

Janh Mon 14-Mar-05 21:37:03

Some people just bruise easily (I am one). Not sure about starting off orangey-brown though - mine start blue IIRC.

sparklymieow Mon 14-Mar-05 21:38:07

My kids are covered in bruises, but they have CP so its expected I bruise very easily.

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 21:38:48

I only ask cos every 4 year old I know (DS included) has lots and lots of bruises, it seems their lives just give them to them .. in the main they are small and round but interspersed with big ones .. they always seem dark brown too (maybe I don't notice them when they're just red marks)

I bruise very easily myself, it really isn't something to worry about

cutekids Mon 14-Mar-05 21:39:24

yes Twiglett they are mostly small round ones. why do you ask?

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 21:45:22

because small round ones are just natural every day knocks IMHO but constant appearance of large bruises would make me worry a bit more

cutekids Mon 14-Mar-05 21:49:53

thanks Twiglett you've made me feel a little better. i remember reading that bruises that seemed to have no explanation could be related to leukaemia and, of course, once i'd seen these on her it set alarm bells ringing. hopefully, they are just everyday knocks.

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 21:51:27

I think you have NOTHING to worry about .. but if you are worried just check with your GP (best to be safe)

I would like to reiterate that DS always has small round bruises on his arms and legs .. ALWAYS

Xena Mon 14-Mar-05 21:54:15

DH's cousin died of leukiemia. The way they first noticed anything was wrong was a bruise that was large and didn't fade. If one of DC's gets a large unexplained bruise then I watch it for 3 days and it has always faded HTH

cutekids Mon 14-Mar-05 21:59:47

thanks for that everyone. hopefully im worrying unneccessarily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now